ACN Latitudes Forums

Mold remediation for tics - has this worked for anyone?

Deb22

Conanjaguar - are your referring to mold or mildew?

Mold is dangerous to health in general, and usually something that needs specialized cleaning, especially as the spores can be hazardous. Especially black mold needs professional treatment.

Mildew is what is most commonly found. There are cleaners for that, usually include chlorine bleach, which has been found to be triggering for tics in some people. We have successfully used hydrogen peroxide to clean the mildew that tries to grow in moist areas like bathrooms etc. White vinegar also eradicates mildew. Neither of those cleaners seemed to be triggering for my son

• 4 months later...
On 8/5/2022 at 7:49 AM, Chemar said:

Conanjaguar - are your referring to mold or mildew?

Mold is dangerous to health in general, and usually something that needs specialized cleaning, especially as the spores can be hazardous. Especially black mold needs professional treatment.

Mildew is what is most commonly found. There are cleaners for that, usually include chlorine bleach, which has been found to be triggering for tics in some people. We have successfully used hydrogen peroxide to clean the mildew that tries to grow in moist areas like bathrooms etc. White vinegar also eradicates mildew. Neither of those cleaners seemed to be triggering for my son

As a building scientist, I notice a huge misconception about the public's perception of mold.  Most always focus on extreme cases of "black mold" where the person has been living in a major cesspool of spores, but the vast majority of cases I see are marginal situations that simply deserve a simple cleaning and an adjustment to interior air humidity control.  

Moreover, it really surprises me when I see someone super concerned about a small amplified area of spores on a window pane condensation, but are not concerned about a whole host of more troubling IAQ problems such as: burning 10 scented candles, pumping febreeze into the air constantly, scented cleaners, radon, high voc paints, wet dogs on carpets...etc.  The list goes on.