ACN Latitudes Forums

Covid19 fallout?

Has anyone’s child come down with the coronavirus and experienced a flare?

Backstory—my son was diagnosed August 2018 with PANS—strep and myco p were his triggers. It was a bumpy 8-9 months and then he got steadily better. The next year was wonderful—he weathered loose teeth, colds, and a month long stomach bug with minor flare issues.  In March my husband and I both got really sick with covid19 and then thankfully recovered. Both of my kids seemed to get sick for a day or two with mild symptoms, but nothing else. Now ten weeks later he’s in a flare—not terrible—just intrusive thoughts. He tested positive for the covid19 antibodies, but his other titers seem to have gone up as well (strep and myco p; strep culture came back negative).  The doctor’s theory is that covid19 is inflammatory and could have kicked the other antibodies into high gear. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Covid-19 is definitely inflammatory, so that makes a lot of sense.  And there does seem to be some delayed inflammatory response in kids -- such as the Kawasaki-like syndrome seen (very rarely) in kids post-COVID-19 is considered to be a delayed inflammatory response. 

Early on, (pre- steroids + IVIGs), my  kiddo used to get a flare with every single infection, no matter how minor.  I'd be surprised that that would kick up other specific titres -- are you talking about general elevation in IgGs, or in abs against other specific things?

You certainly summarized the key info -- that it's a relatively mild flare, and, especially that last year he'd weathered many other inflammatory insults last year.  Still, because any such inflammation affects the blood-brain barrier, I've learned during any PANS flares to back off on other inflammatory stresses (including arguments), and focus on anti-inflammatory things we can control, from antioxidants and NSAIDs to exercise (if he lets me) to fun and friends (harder during the pandemic, I know).    

I'm curious, since y'all have COVID antibodies, has that made it easier for him to get together with friends?

Thanks Wisdom-Seeker for the reply.  His doctor recommended that we try a 5 day steroid burst so we're on Day 1 today--fingers crossed.  I suppose the silver lining here is that he told us about the intrusive thoughts and was open about them.  He's also eager to try the steroids which makes a nice change from the past when he first got sick and I had to force medicine on him.

And thanks for the reminder about focusing on other anti-inflammatory things.  He's definitely up for exercise.  I've been okay with socially distant play dates like bikes rides and/or hikes with friends.  I'm grateful for the Covid19 antibodies--but they're a double edged sword here!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...