ACN Latitudes Forums

Itchy skin? PANS

Hey everyone, new to this forum but unfortunately not new to PANS.

MY 5 year old is currently going through her second (major) flare and it's as awesome as you can imagine.  One thing that's popped up this time is she is constantly complaining of her skin being itchy, though no signs of irritation anywhere. Usually when her anxiety is quite high or trying to get dressed (sensory issues extreme).  Has anyone else encountered this?  

Itchy skin is a symptom of a stressed liver.

Also extreme behaviour is a sign of a stressed liver.

If your kid's body cannot handle the infection, these symptoms might be displayed. Antibiotics might help release the stress, but you can also support the liver in several ways. 

I have used a product called "Liver Balance" from the company Pure Body Institute with good success.

Just the information I was looking for, thank you.   She is not on antibiotics yet, we have been given cbd oil and redipred which is slighttly helping but obviously needing to address/support those vital pathways.

Will have a look at that product now!

• 3 weeks later...

Yes!  I feel like my son was always complaining of being itchy.  Sometimes, he legitimately was breaking out in a rash, but other times there wasn't anything I could find and he was scratching like crazy.  Just all part of the "fun" I suppose.  😕

• 3 weeks later...

Treat it as a real symptom unless proven otherwise -- a response to something biological within the skin.

How to test? Try a couple of adequately high doses of an old antihistamine like Diphenhydramine (Benadryl). (in the AM, since kids often get more alert rather than more sleepy).  If that works and and you prefer you can later switch to natural antihistamines, but the Benadryl is a strong H1 blocker, so if the itching gets better within an hour or two, you have your answer.  

My son developed a variant of allergic response called mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS) as part of his PANS/AE. When he's in a flare those symptoms flare as well, for him including gastroparesis (rapid satiety / nausea, due to the mast cell degranulation response to eating).  Relatives thought he had developed anorexia as a response to the lack of control he had. Hah!  The moral of the story is treat symptoms as real.  

As far as liver, I'm all for supporting the liver; it's got a really essential job. However a liver impaired enough to cause constant all-over itching should have other signs --  like jaundice (yellowing of eyes or skin), and/or an MD could feel the liver be enlarged.  (I'm not an MD - so this is info, and encouragement to check out the itching and liver qs by talking to her MD).

Ah wisdom GIVER.  Thank you for this response. I am myself trying to get tested for MCAS so this is not new to me :(  She has a great appetite, we are very lucky this hasn't changed much during flares though the pickier side comes out we don't put much attention to that.  She is RIDICULOUSLY hard to get any supplements/medication in but I will grab some antihistamine and see if it changes anything next time she complains.