ACN Latitudes Forums

Thrush

My mum seems to have acquired the idea that oral antifungals are considered dangerous and are only prescribed when there's no alternative, and it would have to be a - refuse to even say the word - or go without any treatment and also that it will never get better by itself.  I have such enormous issues about this that I think if I did that that'd be the rest of the summer spent recovering from the trauma, and I know me, I don't recover from trauma by sitting quietly sobbing in corners but by constantly buttonholing my mum or dad, asking frenziedly if anyone will ever be able to bring themselves to look at me again without feeling sick. etc..  Do you think it's true about the antijfungals?  My mum seemed to be basing this idea on something her doctor had once told her regarding an infection in her foot, so perhaps that's a different kind of infection requiring a different kind of antifungal?  Alternatively does anyone know any other kind of cure for it that actually works?

My DS used Nystatin short term in the past, and there were no known side effects.  When switched to Diflucan, he became so thirsty, he would need to drink what seemed like a gallon of water in one sitting.  We discontinued it. Later I read that it is linked to death from dehydration. I also believe pharmaceutical anti fungals are not good for the kidneys.  

For yeast control he currently uses an herbal product called Candicid Forte.  Also saccharomyces boulardii.  Grape Fruit Seed extract works as anti fungal as well.  From personal experience, the Master Cleanse can get rid of yeast.  

Whew, thanks for the warning about Diflucan!

The NHS webpage does mention oral antifungals being used for that as if it was a normal thing.  It also says that "one dose of medicine should be sufficient".

I'll bear Saccharomyces boulardii in mind, and the grapefruit seed extract.  Is there any risk of PANS herxing with grapefruit seed extract, do you think?  I mean, from whatever else it is I've got, in case it turns out to respond to grapefruit seed extract when it doesn't to antibiotics?

I have had very good success with Daktarin.  It is readily available in Europe as an over the counter gel for oral thrush.  It even has a good taste....  I have a friend that brings it from England and have used it for my nursing babies with excellent results.

Edited by bws1565