ACN Latitudes Forums

Need more help as tics return

mblack

mblack & imcqill,

On a more positive note, there is a fairly high percentage of people outgrow TS and experience much decrease as you entered into adulthood.

Pat

Thanks for the positive note, we all seem to take turns with encouragment and now it seems as if it is my time to need some!

On your comment about "outgrowing". I am curious as to how some people have observed their childs tics from the onset of around 7-8 and if they progressed through the 10-12 years. Did the tics get worse, better, the same leading up to that time and continuing perhaps past. I know there are so many variables, but there must be a few constants. I am probably more curious as to what to expect if you even can know what to expect.

Lenny

Lenny,

From what i gather from this forum, kids may experience more symptoms while going thru puberty or start tics or TS while going thru puberty.

I don't know the specifics regarding the "outgrow" facts. I find that when i focus on that much details, i get an anxiety attack. So i concentrate on the positives. Perhaps someone here can provide more info.

For the last year and a half, among a few things i learned are: to let go of things that are out of my control and stop fearing what the future will bring. I hope this could be of some use to you as it has helped me thru some pretty rough times.

Pat

Lenny,

I have been through this with 2 sons now. My oldest is soon to turn 15 and youngest is soon to turn 11. I used to say that I thought my boys had mild tics. Now I think they probably have had about the same amt. of tic symptoms that the majority of children have. I was comparing their tics to what most people think of as TS (what we have all seen in the media) when I was using the "mild" description. We did not have any huge flair ups through puberty with my oldest son. His voice changed quite some time ago, he's darn near 6 ft. tall, and he's is wonderful. His drivers training instructor just made the remark that he is about 110% above average. He is so capable, I'm amazed at times that this boy is only 14. He will occasionally stretch his neck in the motion that many here have described. We will even have an occasional head shake. If he gets any kind of a chip or rough spot on a tooth, he will have a hard time leaving it alone, and if left unchecked, he will get a canker. He has used very little supplements this summer, and has eaten a fair amt of junk food. We do use Bonnie's vits. and extra mag, zinc, fish oil etc. when he seems to be getting twitchy. EPSOM salt baths are especially nice, for those little flair ups too.

My youngest son shared some interesting stuff with me yesterday. He started putting his teeth on his bottom lip and making a vvvvvvv sound (sucking air in, to make the noise). It didn't sound any different then the noises kids sometimes make, but it was 50% of the day. By the day before school, he was head shaking pretty bad. This is probably the first time I have had that dreadful sinking feeling, since we started supplements with the boys. I felt like everyone else here, about him starting Jr. High, 6th grade, with something that was going to be hard for him socially, along with the fear of what was going on with him physically. He had dark circles again. Those had cleared up so nicely, when we started enzymes. By the 2nd day of school, the tics were 50% better. Yesterday, he came home and said "guess what, I only shook my head twice today!" This started a conversation about my thinking that his tics were being caused by anxiety about starting a new school, but I told him I was confused because the vvvvvvv sound started at least a week prior, and he didn't seem to be paying any attention to when school started. He was truly surprised Sat. when I told him school was only 3 days away. He said "no" he didn't think it was from being nervous about school, he thought it was allergies. He said he was wrinkling up his nose, and making the sound, because everything was itchy and it was bothering him. I was reading the messages that everyone was posting, and wondering if it was something in the air, or nerves too. I'm still confused. I would like to say that adding l carnitine back in, soaking him to the wrinkle state (which he loves) in epsom, upping his mag taurate, and a few other things (many hand packed sodium asorbate capsules) benedryl, helped speed us through this. We have had a vast reduction in symptoms and time btwn flairs since using supplements, but I don't know what the course would have been without them, so it's always hard to say.

He also told me, Wed. a kid says to him "you have tourettes syndrome, don't you?" My guy said, he didn't answer him. He could see the look (probably anger) on my face and he says "Mom, he didn't say it to be mean, he said it was no big deal, about 1/2 of his friends have it." :)

My son said a lot of kids have eye blinking and wrist shaking tics at school (I have seen this for myself, and have remarked about it here before) a few head shakers too. He said one boy has an allergy to red dye and can't have any. He talks about all of the kids that have ADHD. There is one boy who pokes and touches him all the time in one class, and can't sit still.

One thing I want to remind everyone of and I think Tlk just mentioned, your child may be ticcing at home and not ticcing at school, or so little that no one really notices. We have had tics here, both ways. Only when relaxing, and bad on the ball field. As a rule, I think during a flair, they have been better when engrossed in something

I'm going to end my short story here Lenny, but I hope I this was helpful in pointing out, that our kids are not alone with their differences, that tics at home, may be much less in school (I used to get the same thing from friends parents and teachers...they had never seen him tic when it was SO noticable to me at home) that the alternative methods, that many here are usiing, have been remarkably helpful for my sons, and so far puberty has not been a nightmare!

Jkc,

I would agree mild tics, like eye movements get worse as the day goes on, but at it's worst, a "bigger tic," could start as soon as their feet hit the floor in the morning.

Wanted to add to the above post, my youngest son, also said that being in so many stores lately, made his tics "act up." He has always told me that the smell of stores bothers him a lot. We have had to physically leave the mall. He seems to be more chemically sensitive than my oldest son.

Has anyone notice the tics/symptoms are better in the morning? I have noticed with my son his eye blinking/twiching is alot better in the morning than evening.

Yes, we have noticed that with our son. Some days, I don't see any eye blinks at all until a couple hours away from bedtime.

Has anyone notice the tics/symptoms are better in the morning? I have noticed with my son his eye blinking/twiching is alot better in the morning than evening.

Yes, we have noticed that with our son. Some days, I don't see any eye blinks at all until a couple hours away from bedtime.

Same here, last two mornings, he his tics have been very minor, after school it gets worse and then he seems to calm down by bedtime.

I'm going to end my short story here Lenny, but I hope I this was helpful in pointing out, that our kids are not alone with their differences, that tics at home, may be much less in school (I used to get the same thing from friends parents and teachers...they had never seen him tic when it was SO noticable to me at home) that the alternative methods, that many here are usiing, have been remarkably helpful for my sons, and so far puberty has not been a nightmare!

I thank you so much for your reply. Yesterday evening I could tell his tics were getting less. I think if I can even get use to a pattern I would feel less anxious. I am going to try Bontech, it sounds like many people have had success with them.