ACN Latitudes Forums

Questions and stuff I have

So I turned fifteen about two months ago and I’ve been having twitches and other types of tics since I was younger and I didn’t have access to any of the information I do now until four years ago. I didn’t really think anything of my twitches/tics until recently when I started high school. I try to hold off my body twitches and muscle spasms until I get home and then it all kind of rushes out and I end up laying down twitching. Is that normal? And I’ve looked into the symptoms of tourettes and I have most if not all of them and I don’t really know what to do? Ant advice would be really awesome right now. I don’t know what to do with the information that I might not be just really dumb and annoying, there may actually be a reason that I act the way I do. And it’s just really weird for me and I’n sort of scared, you know?

Hi there.

Yes, I do think it would be a good idea to discuss this with your therapist as it may give insight and also be helpful for future therapy.

And yes, having a major tic release after suppressing them at school or work etc is well known. It's important to have that release.

Please don't think you are dumb and annoying! In fact, most people who have Tourette Syndrome are actually very bright and talented, they just often learn differently and need to find ways to cope with the symptoms.

Here is some helpful info for you on our main website.  https://latitudes.org/conditions/what-is-tourette-syndrome/

Do ask questions here and we can try to help as best possible.

To encourage you, my son is almost 30 now and was diagnosed with TS when 10, and he has a great job, also loves playing guitar and writing songs and other good stuff. Explore your talents and things you enjoy! It really makes a difference in how you feel about yourself and life.