ACN Latitudes Forums

alternatives when antibiotics make kid feel crummy

Hello!  I'm a new member trying to puzzle out the use of prophylactic antibiotics with my 10-year-old DD who has PANDAS.  Antibiotics seem to be the go-to solution for PANDAS, but what should you do if your kid feels terrible as a result of them?  I'm looking for feedback from any parent who can relate to my situation.  Last spring my daughter got strep and overnight developed terrible separation anxiety, had panic attacks, and called me daily from school.  After a few months on Keflex she gradually returned to normal, but the Keflex itself gave her dizziness, stomach aches, and anxiety.  During the exacerbation she was 50% normal, on Keflex 70%, and off antibiotics returned to 90%.  Keflex is the only antibiotic she can tolerate, as she is allergic to Penicillin and gets very depressed on Zithromycin.  Now I'm struggling with the decision about whether to give her prophylactic Keflex whenever a classmate is diagnosed with strep.  Whenever I do, her reaction to Keflex always stirs up anxiety and brings her back to 70%, which is heartbreaking.  I know that the Keflex is causing the reaction because the times I have chosen not to use prophylactic antibiotics she remains normal.   I feel like I am stuck between a rock and a hard place because I hate to make her feel worse, but am scared of her getting strep.  What would you do in my situation?  Also, if your child has a hard time tolerating antibiotics, are there any other supplements you recommend as protection?  Thank you!

I tried Oil of Wild Oregano for my DS in 2016.  This was before I could find a doctor to evaluate him for PANDAS.  The only info I found on dosing was on YouTube.  The information I found (not necessarily for PANDAS specifically) recommended pure Oil of Wild Oregano (not diluted with olive oil, etc).  I bought it from Amazon, I think, and it shipped from Greece.  YouTube info said to use high dose. If I recall, I gave him 15 drops, 4 or 5 times a day.  I had to mix it with orange juice.  It was so strong and even mixed with orange juice, would burn his lips and mouth. Since DS complained so much, my DH agreed that I could give it to DS for only one month.  DS was severe at the time.  Incomprehensible OCD symptoms.   We began seeing improvement in about a week.  By the end of the month, his OCD symptoms went from a 10 to a 7.  Looking back that was huge.  I would definitely try it again if I needed to.  I just wonder if the less concentrated versions work.