ACN Latitudes Forums

How would I go about finding a DAN doctor in my area?

Becky G

I have been figuring things out on my own for years because we never lived near any major cities. There is a lot of help on sites like this and others. But it would be nice to have some help. I now have three with Tourettes, the oldest of them also has Aspergers and the next one also had dylexia. My first born (19) has ADHD and some other quirks (husband thinks there is a touch of AS in there too, which is funny, or maybe not, because dh has way more than a touch of AS) My 2yo shows every sign of being a carbon copy of the firstborn. Super high energy and very advanced in language. Anyway, all this to say that I am exhausted dealing with this on my own. My husband leaves it all to me and is not even a good sounding board.

I have learned a lot from this site and two of my dc have improved dramatically since we cut dairy and artificial colors and added in magnesium and fish oil. Our biggest issues right now are with the 16yo. She is the only one on meds for her TS and it would be nice if she could be off of them. But with her sensory issues that go with AS, it is not something I want to do without the help of a doctor. Thanks for any and all help.

Becky,

I'm just wondering how you are doing and if you were able to locate a Dr?

Anyway, all this to say that I am exhausted dealing with this on my own.

I can imagine you are! You might want to try an epsom salt soak for yourself, they really can be soothing. I am also taking quite a few supplements myself now.

I'm so glad you found this site. A big welcome!!!!!!!!

Kim

Our insurance covered the doctor and the tests. I think most insurance does require that you use an "MD". All except Great Plains were out of network, so the coverage was not as high. I found more short appointments with an MD were covered ie 2 at $180 each, versus one long one @ $360 was considered excessive. We did most of our follow-up by phone, so I could split the time.

We succeeded in our goal with our DAN/environmental doctor, and still do annual testing. On the other hand, once I got a horrible environmental doctor, really gouged us and was extreme in his methods. Stopped his treatment very quickly - he wanted virtually no carbs for my active son and started him on diflucan, a toxic anti-fungal. My point is to trust your instincts and watch your child!!

Claire

Claire, I somewhat know your story. I know your son has been symptom free for 3 years and tv and computer games were a big trigger. Would you please do a post of the process you took to reach success. I know every child is different, but maybe a brief run down of your story. It would be much appreciated and I know some people here are wanting to hear success stories. What type of Dr. did you use? etc.

Computer games stopped the tics completely, but I knew I couldn't do that forever. So we went to a DAN doctor. He tested him and found high mercury, certain vitamin deficiencies and low antioxidant levels, plus food allergies.

We eliminated the foods for a while. He eats them now. We supplemented for the deficient vitamins and antioxidants. The antioxidants brought down his mercury levels. Personally I think high metals (oxidative stress), low vitamins, and screens impact a lot of kids. Once you rebuild the immune system and remove the metals, the screens can be managed. He has no limits now. But we still don't use CRT screens (what's the point?). We give him 1/3 the vitamins we used to now and still retest annually to make sure he is in sync.

My 'tests' thread is my favorite - I believe that these are indeed many times 'children with starving brains' and that proper supplementation can help a ton. And that programs need customization. The screen removal won't help every kid, nor is it a long term solution. But it does at least show you if it is a factor, and demonstrates that this is not just genetic and unavoidable for all.

Good luck!

Claire

We tested for yeast with the Great Plains OAT (Organic Acid Test) urine test. Yes he was high. We tried Nystatin. He rarely gets sugar. Nothing seemed to change the measurement. I finally decided to let it go. It has been 2 years, but we will test again soon. I think supplementing with the glutathione cream (he was low in glutathione) helped with the metals. The OAT test showed that also.

Claire