ACN Latitudes Forums

Anyone got worse on probiotics?

I've been doing searches and found a few posts but not very clear so I thought I'd ask again.

I started taking the Hyperbiotics Pro-Kids probiotic on Thursday (yes, I know I'm maybe a bit old for that but it was because Lordchallen's daughter was taking it for *ahem* very similar symptoms).  I took 2 a day to start with, that's 6 billion Colony Forming Units, then nothing seemed to be happening and things are already quite bad so I was impatient for something to wrok, so yesterday and today I took 4, that's 12 billion CFU.  Written down like that it does look rather a lot.

Yesterday and today, things have been particularly dramatic, in the exact same way I was supposed to be taking these things for - insane frustration at the least thing, agitation, panic, OCD getting set off catastrophically at the least thing, lengthy ranting at my parents.  Mum describes me as "hyper" whatever exactly she means by that.

Query.  Have any of you or your kinds got worse on probiotics?  And, if so, was it a worse-before-it-gets-better thing, or was it actually just worse and the correct thing to do was stop?  And which ones (what species of bacteria were in them)?  Please, it would be a great help if any of you could put me in the picture.

Firstly 12 billion is not that much.  I have known people to take 100 billion per day.

If you are dealing with yeast, you must watch out for the die off reaction.  When candida bursts, they release a toxin in the bloodstream that makes everything temporarily worse.  So yes, you can get worse at first when dealing with this.  I would recommend a candida killer together with the probiotics so you can "kill the weeds" and "reseed the lawn".  Candida killers are :  Garlic, Diflucan, green leafy vegetables, caprilyc acid etc.  I'm sure there are more, but these come to mind right now.

Also, if constipation is a problem, the yeast might just be sitting there and not moving anywhere.  We tried a saltwater flush and saw some good results (its nasty but works....)  It means mixing 2 tsp of Himilayan pink salt together with 4 cups filtered warm boiled water, and drinking on an empty stomach.

Good Luck!

Replying in no particular order:

I don't have Facebook.

I'm in Britain, Culturelle isn't sold here unless I ordered it off Amazon or somewhere, and that'd be a long wait and is there any reason to think that would be better, if it's oznly that it doesn't have s. Thermophulus, which this doesn't either?

I know about Strep thermophilus but it's not there; Pro-Kids contains only four strains - Bifidobacterium  infantis, Bifidobacterium lactis, and two kinds of Lactobacillus but I forget which (haven't got the bottle handy).

No, no constipation, in fact these probiotics have given me the runs a bit.

That leaves the yeast - no idea, it could be, I suppose.  I forget what the symptoms of candida are supposed to be, except the obvious physical ones (the cracked skin, itching and red bits), which I don't have any of.  I'm nervous of taking antifungals on top of all this thouguhy in case I make things still wrose!  Surely if the problem is the candida dying off, takking antifungals would just mean even more die-off, wouldn't it?  Or wouldn't it?

Hmm,

Our policy as prescribed by our naturopath is that anything that seems to cause a flare is discontinued, with symptoms noted. If this is a supplement you feel is necessary it can be reintroduced later using the start low and slow method.

Can you get probiotics another way? Fermented foods, miso, kombucha, etc?

Sometimes it's better to get it in a food as that particular supplement may be tolerated better as the food contains other nutrients that work in an entourage effect.

Good luck, we've had horrible OCD flares here too and it's no fun.

You sound like a strong, intelligent, proactive person!

• 2 weeks later...

Most defininately, probiotics make some PANS kids worse.  I suspect that phenomenon is under reported, mostly because people don't want to believe it, and tend to suspect something else first.  We proved it with our kid, and no, the ones we tried did not have strep in them, they were well-known brands, quoted here on these pages, and recommended by many.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've had my DD on probiotics for about 1 year now. All the difference in the world. After a couple of very scary events where we feared for her and ourselves, things are doing pretty good. I'm homeschooling her (cyberschool) because some of her OCD behavior is still easily triggered. Getting her to leave the home was a chore.

Now, however, the panic attacks are rare. The moods could just been strong willed 11 year old kid. She tries hard to keep up with housework and school, but gets a little lazy from time to time. Like 10 towels a day from showers that I have to pick up. 

I attribute most of her progress to the probiotics, Culturelle and Kids Pro. Plus, a small dose of CBD oil.  She isn't 100% but talking about wanting to go back to school next year.

Which is fine, if I trusted the schools more than I do.  

• 2 months later...

I'm afraid I really cna't remember - I don't seem to have made a note.  I rather think I went down to 1 a day rather than stopping altogether and it clered up (back to where it was before I started taking them, maybe) on that, but I'm not sure.  I'm not taking them any more because they didn't seem to be doing any good.