ACN Latitudes Forums

Serious adult Tourette's when using a computer/phone

Hello everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone can relate to this or has some useful information about this.

I was diagnosed with Tourette's when I was 10 (I'm now 26). I've tried all the treatments/therapies along those years and very few have shown any help.

My tics in the early days weren't too bad. But in recent years, my tics (both vocal and motor) have been getting out of control. I've tried every major drug there is for it but none help.

What I've noticed is my tics are actually normal when I'm not using a computer/phone. Whenever I use a computer, the tics go out of control. I'm a software developer so I spend all day on a computer, and it's difficult for me to spend time away from a screen during my waking hours (due to job requirements etc).

Does anyone relate to this, or have some more info I could read about this?

Thanks

Yes, there are numerous posts here related to screens and tics.

Try setting your devices on the night light setting and even using computer glasses (you can get those unmagnified if you don't need glasses) It helps with the glare and flash that can sometimes trigger tics. Also search info on Irlen here. Daylight lamps used at night can also help.

We focus mostly on natural treatments for tics and Tourette's here. Do take a look at out "Useful Thread" pinned to the top of this forum as you may get some extra tips to help in general   https://latitudes.org/forums/topic/2459-useful-threads-info-for-tourette-syndrome-tics/

Our admin Sheila Rogers also has 2 excellent books that may be of help

https://latitudes.org/store/tourette-syndrome-triggers-book

and

https://latitudes.org/store/natural-treatments-for-tics-and-tourette-syndrome-book/

• 3 years later...

Michael, I'm four years late on seeing your post--I apologize--but if you are still dealing with the same problem, I can think of something that might help.  First, if your phone is a cell phone or a cordless phone, switch to a corded landline.  If your computer works through Wifi, switch to an ethernet connection and move away from any Wifi router.  That deals with the wireless aspect. 

As for other electromagnetic fields coming from the computer (one that is plugged in to the ethernet), years ago an electrician who dealt with EMF mitigation suggested that I get a big long roll of heavy-duty aluminum foil and unroll it from the front top of your desk (where your hands would rest and the computer would sit--then put the computer down onto it), towards the back of the desk, down vertically toward the floor, then along the floor forward towards where your chair would normally be, so that it ends up longer than the length of the bottom of your chair (behind where you sit).  Then place a hard surface (rigid plastic) office chair mat (the kind that protects floor and carpeting below) on top of the foil in the area where your chair and your feet would go when you are sitting at your computer.  I believe the idea is to direct the EMF from the computer, along the foil, and under your chair to the floor as a "ground." It's important then that your body and chair are fully resting on that protected foil. Also make sure there are no electrical wires or outlets on or right near the foil.

That is what I remember his saying.  I cannot honestly say that I ever went through with it (though perhaps I should have), but if I were having exaggerated tic problems, I would likely try it.   It appears that such plastic chair mats are available through office supply stores.  Just make sure it is plastic (no metal), and that it is not studded on the bottom, so it doesn't rip the foil.  Continuous foil is important for directing the EMF away.  I wish I could give more specifics, but I'm not the expert on this.  Just passing it along.

Edited by mmglaser

• 2 weeks later...

I'm probably totally late to the party here too, but I think I recall chatting to my naturopath and she mentioned inflammation and the brain chemistry being out can make you sensitive when you shouldn't be; potentially some blood bitters/blood cleaning things (chlorophyll) and a good liquid mineral supplement to balance out? If you detox and don't provide minerals to fill the little puzzle gaps left behind from any heavy metals, the next one will just come along and plug it instead of a mineral. :)