ACN Latitudes Forums

vitamin question

jmacja

Good Morning,

I have a 12 year old boy that has been diagnosed with Tourette Syndrome. I want to try and find a good multivitamin, Omega 3, and probiotic for him, but I'm not sure which brands are best.  I'm also a  little bit confused on how much and what kind of B vitamins to give him. I have purchased the Natural Calm brand of magnesium. I would love any help y'all could give me! I'm just trying to do the best I can for him. Some days that doesn't feel like enough. :( 

• 1 month later...

You might want to look into Kirkman nutrients. This is an FAQ on their products. HERE

You are right that the nutrients mentioned could help but probably won't be enough alone. Do you think he would be willing to monitor his diet and see if he finds anything that makes tics worse?  It's good you are looking for answers and help.

• 2 months later...

I'm not sure he will be willing to monitor his diet, but we can totally try. :) I know red things make his tics worse. I have also been told that he has short term/working memory deficits. Could that be from tourette's also? Or, do you think there might be an underlying condition that I don't know about yet?

Thank you for all of your help. :) I really appreciate it!

Joy

HI Joy -- There are a number of reasons that people can have short term memory problems, and different approaches can possibly improve it. 

Since you have seen that there is a diet connection to his tics I would continue to pursue that approach. 

Also two additional ideas to consider are that amino acid imbalances or a lack of certain nutrients (i.e.,  B vitamins) can affect focus and memory. For this effort I would see a nutritionist who is skilled in  working with youngsters and natural approaches (versus a conventional nutritionist at a hospital setting, for example)  or an integrative practitioner who can test for deficiencies or make recommendations based on a clinical evaluation. 

And  along the lines of the probiotic that you mentioned,  a common cause of memory problems  is "brain fog"  caused by a candida overload in the gut. You can see this article  for an explanation. Someone does not need to have all the symptoms for a connection with candida--but you will see memory in the list.  Since you are not sure how much cooperation you will get from your son with diet change you might need a practitioner to explain it to him (if indeed it seems this is an issue) rather than you trying to control his diet especially since it usually means reducing intake of some favorite things like breads and sugars. :)

There are other causes and approaches, but starting here could make sense for you. (With the B vitamins be sure to get one that doesn't upset the stomach. )

Also our book Stop Your Tics by Learning What Triggers Them gives a lot of ideas of things that could be playing a role. It is user friendly. 

I hope that gives you some direction.  I know it is a challenge, but you seem to be on the right track!  Sheila 

• 3 months later...
On 9/27/2018 at 11:26 AM, jmacja said:

Good Morning,

I have a 12 year old boy that has been diagnosed with Tourette Syndrome. I want to try and find a good multivitamin, Omega 3, and probiotic for him, but I'm not sure which brands are best.  I'm also a  little bit confused on how much and what kind of B vitamins to give him. I have purchased the Natural Calm brand of magnesium. I would love any help y'all could give me! I'm just trying to do the best I can for him. Some days that doesn't feel like enough. :( 

When my son was 9 he had tics were so bad he was put on Haladol, I tried drugs and it was terrible side effects , I met a lady at Stemtech (Mannatech now) and put my son on Ambrotose , along with a natural no dyes multivitamin with b complex and zinc. Within 2 months his tics were almost gone,  He is now a man and no tics.  It might not work for you but several people it has helped .I'm not involved with this company now but I had to let you know