ACN Latitudes Forums

Tics and use of essential oils?

cmontgom

20 minutes ago, Cristo-Krista said:

Which brand do you use? Can we buy it at whole foods for example ?

We use Young Living brand. I believe you should be able to check on their website & contact a local rep in your area. You may also be able to order online. 

During school time my wife  put a little drop of lavender on his feet night plus jasmine and camomile and massaged it into his feet at night.  Put a little lavender and camomile into a diffuser. He went to sleep so quickly.  The next day the same.  He seemed calm. Then the following day she put a few drops on his neck and back and spine and put lavender oil on his school pants in the spine area.   Well that day he came home and wouldn’t stop ticcing.  She stopped w the oils. The whole week his tics were out of control.  

I read that oils can cause a herx. Not sure if that’s what happened but it was horrible.  He couldn’t contain the tics at all. 

We usually only diffuse one to two drops of lavender in his room at night. We only apply a drop of peace & calming on neck, or feet if he is having trouble sleeping. We only use one drop of all oils we apply. Our sons tics come & go. I refer to it as a revolving door. He has days, or weeks that he is great & then they start all over again. They also move throughout his body too. The tics change constantly. We’ve found the diet has the most impact on our son & his guanfacine helps also. They all keep our sons tics at a minimum. We never really know when they may be more or less. We’ve done a lot of research & have found what works best for our son. Again, all kids are different. Have you been to a neurologist?

4 hours ago, Cristo-Krista said:

During school time my wife  put a little drop of lavender on his feet night plus jasmine and camomile and massaged it into his feet at night.  Put a little lavender and camomile into a diffuser. He went to sleep so quickly.  The next day the same.  He seemed calm. Then the following day she put a few drops on his neck and back and spine and put lavender oil on his school pants in the spine area.   Well that day he came home and wouldn’t stop ticcing.  She stopped w the oils. The whole week his tics were out of control.  

I read that oils can cause a herx. Not sure if that’s what happened but it was horrible.  He couldn’t contain the tics at all. 

Just do remember that Essential Oils are concentrated and not all brands can be applied to the skin without use of a carrier oil. When used neat, one drop is totally enough! and even then it depends on the individual. Some people cannot tolerate all oils. ie they will react ok with one and very negatively with another. My son has always been that way.

Just because something is natural  doesn't always mean it doesn't have a potential for reactivity. We learned that the hard way and with much trial and error.

It's the same with supplements....they are excellent and beneficial - but different people have different reactions.

We bought a few brands from the health store.  We stopped when we saw his explosive tics.  She said she did many drops on his pants, feet, back, neck and spine and saw that after school he wasn’t well.   Could not stop  

in another post you said your husband and son have ts  so I’m guessing that makes it easier for your son to talk about it .  My son won’t talk and gets very upset when I mention the tics or take him to someone to treat them.  He hadn’t met anyone who had sudden tics   

What is neat? 

Neat = undiluted

"Many drops" is way too much imo

My son has never had a problem talking about his TS. We didn't realize that my husband, and his own father had it till my son was diagnosed. That was when the tics that ran in their family became understandable. They had been told they had "nervous habits" all their lives.

Cristo-Krista, it's fine to keep discussing essential oils on this thread if you still have questions about those. That keeps this thread on topic.🙂

However, for any other questions, it would be best to ask on the thread now dedicated to your questions where I moved those other posts too as requested. Here's the link to it:                                                              

https://latitudes.org/forums/topic/25718-tics-after-neck-injury-antibiotics/

• 8 months later...

Thank you for posting this! My son who turned 6 last year suddenly developed tics. He blinked his eyes excessively. He said he is aware but he couldn’t help it. Poor boy has been told not to blink by teachers, friends and friend mommies, and felt very disturbed. Thanks to this blog I came across and I used the oil recommended here, lavender, vetiver, peace and calming, valor roller. And thank God I could see improvement within a few days, and I would say he almost got rid of it in 3 months time. However, when we thought the whole episode is almost over, the tic came back a little, and this time accompanied by throat clearing. I initially thought he has itchy throat, but after a while mother instinct told me something is not right. There the tic came back and accompanied by another one. I am very very worried. I have not changed his diet, as we do not usually eat much processed food. I think that the tics is the result of anxiety. May I know whether anyone of you has better result or oil combination? Thank you very much! 

Limemom,

I’m glad to hear you have seen good results with the essential oils.  We still use them for our son. As I mentioned before in a previous post, the tics always come & go with our son. I describe it as a revolving door. Some days he will be good with very few movements to none & other days they are much more prominent. He also has vocal tics some now, but they’re mild. We also started giving him a small dose of CBD oil a few months ago. His medicine did not seem like it was enough, but a whole tablet of Guanfacine was too much for him. The pharmacy recommended we give him a whole dropper each day, but we started out with a 1/4 dropper each morning after breakfast & we continue to ONLY give him 1/4 dropper once a day. We put it under his tongue & he holds it in his mouth for about 20 seconds, before he swallows it. It made his eyes red & a little irritated for the first few days, but it went away. We use Zilis Ultra Cell - Full Sprectrum HEMP CBD Oil. I buy ours locally at a pharmacy, but I have also found it on line. It’s a berry flavor & our son doesn’t mind the taste. In addition to the oils & diet, we also give him Guanfacine at night. We decided on medicine because his movements really started affecting his emotional well being & his daily life. We know that his transient tics are much worse without the Guanfacine medicine. We were against giving him any medicine in the beginning, but it really helps him. You may want to schedule an appointment with a neurologist, or try the CBD oil & see if it helps your son. I was very skeptical to try the CBD oil, but was glad we did. Please keep in mind what works for our son may not always work for everyone, but it helps to share our stories. I understand completely how you are feeling. Don’t allow the fear, anger & hopeless feelings to take over. Take it each day at a time. We refuse to let this control, or consume our son’s life. Hugs ❤️