ACN Latitudes Forums

Shafrir

Bttrfly1

We tried him once and ended up going on another direction mainly due to insurance.  He is not the best listener, pushy with questions, kind of blunt.  I guess typical Israeli attitude.  On the positive side he is available and responsive and truly will work for you.  Sinai hospital is in a rough area but the staff there are helpful. The same cannot be said of shafrirs staff. 

Edited by dasu

thanks. How is his approach different from Dr. L? We see her but she seems to have gotten so busy she can't return phone calls and emails she responds with a simple yes or no with no additional follow-up. I also heard Dr. L's staff from Georgetown went to work with Dr. Shofrir. I am looking for a second opinion on treatment and need someone who is willing to communicate. 

Funny we also see Dr L.  So I totally understand the only way to get an answer is book an appointment and we live 2 hours away. Not sure about her staff leaving there is high turn around in that office. My son is now trying Dr Fox in Charlottesville but it’s too early to tell. For now blood work is completely normal except Ana. Shocked her. So if she is good my daughter will also see her. 

Still think about shafrir though. He pushes insurance which is a huge plus. That is the biggest difference. She is also a more approachable and my kids always liked taliking with L except during the worst flares. They both use current guidelines and don’t appear to mess with Lyme etc. 

Edited by dasu

Thank you. We also see Dr. Fox but also too early too tell. The reviews that I have seen about her is good though and then you don't hear a peep about them... so I'm assuming it's like the lyme message boards (a lot of chatter pre and during treatment) but when they get better no one goes back to mention that. Our labs with her showed high viral titers and she is working to address those. No lyme. We just had our results meeting with her. 

I do like Dr. L and we'll continue to see her for our annual (unless there's a major change). My son caught strep twice after IVIG, T and A, and on augmentin. The second time my  son caught strep, L told Andrea that he needs IVIG. But no explanation why but I'm assuming to boost his immune system. But Dr. Fox is working on that..

I then asked if he could switch antibiotics because it looks like the augmentin isn't working and Dr. L relayed, "he shouldn't catch strep on augmentin. IVIG."

I called back and asked if Dr. L could spare a few minutes to explain her decision but no calls.. 

I'll go see Shafrir too.. I don't know what he'll say but maybe a second opinion from another pediatric nuero will help.. or not help. 

My son is doing fine. Since the switch to Azithromycin (advised by Dr. F), the flare has gone away and we're doing all the supplements. 

Funny we are both in the same places. Ugh...pandas. Yeah I haven’t seen much bad about dr Fox. So please keep me posted. We used Rydkand for a bit but he never pushed any treatment. We tried a naturopath in Staunton without any success. So many talk the talk but can’t back it up.

If I could afford it I’d see more of L but we can’t swing the money for rituximab x2 so are looking at alternatives.   For now the kids are both on augmentin and Ritalin. 

• 1 month later...