ACN Latitudes Forums
  • pandas-cover-cropped.pngYour Child Has Changed; Should You Consider PANDAS?

Have you seen our PANDAS eBook?  Our book is a helpful primer in a friendly question & answer format.  This eBook contains useful information to understand the symptoms of PANDAS, how it is diagnosed (including lab tests), the different types of treatments, approaches for prevention, and how to find the help and support that you need.  Your satisfaction is guaranteed. Learn more

My daughter, almost 12, was diagnosed with PANDAS. She's had ADHD almost her whole life. Anxiety started a few years ago and began getting worse last year. In January was diagnosed with OCD. Last month we saw a dr at National Integrative Health Associates who ran a ton of tests and her strep titers were very high so we're treating her for PANDAS.

After three weeks on Augmentin, we're seeing very little change. After reading Saving Sammy I really thought abx would be a miracle cure even though her onset wasn't very rapid and her symptoms are not as severe as his.

Anyway, follow up with dr today, and she says another Dr looked at records and is suggesting a parasite that I can't remember the name of that is very common with PANDAS kids and is suggesting a new drug route. Wants to take her off Augmentin and put on arithrymycn (sp?) and then add Mepron a week later and then diflucan a week later. She is already taking Nystatin for yeast.

So my biggest question is, the three new drugs are only once a day, which is good, but I forgot to ask the dr... can she take them all at one time? And does anyone suggest they're better in the am or pm? Should I split them up so she takes one in the am and the others at night, or reverse? She also already takes a multi-vitamin and a mineral supplement since her minerals are low.

I don't know Mepron, but it is my own thought (only) that the anti-yeast drugs (nystatin and diflucan) might be a bit better taken some time after any abx.  My thinking there is that when the abx clears out gut bacteria, that is when yeast has an opportunity to jump into the cleared out spots.  So taking the anti-yeast some relatively short time after the abx should be better than taking it some relatively time before.  But it is probably not a big difference from taking all at once.

I don't have any thoughts on am vs. pm for any of these (and, I don't know Mepron).

Is the Augmentin dose high enough? DS18 took anywhere from 500mg-1000mg 2x/day starting at age 14. When he was on Azithromycin or other abx, he took them with the a.m. dose of Augmentin.  I don't know Mepron either.

Azithromycin "zithro" is pretty strong, so make sure she gets a good probiotic if you're not already doing that (well, w/any abx, actually).

Good luck!

12 hours ago, bws1565 said:

Mepron is a drug for malaria, that is used for babesia, a lyme coinfection.  Does your child also have Lyme?

Got it. No, DS19 doesn't have Lyme or any co-inf. I had babesia, however, and was on doxycycline for 5 months.