ACN Latitudes Forums

Child keeps testing pos for Non-group A Strep

DD (5yo) has been struggling with PANDAS for 1.5 years. Tested positive for Group A strep at first onset, but never again. Has tested positive several times for non-group A, however, often coinciding with a flare. Pediatrician, who tries to help but is a bit of a PANDAS skeptic, says that this kind of strep is just colonized in some people and that it doesn’t cause illness and doesn’t need to be treated. Dr. L has not been responding to my calls and emails. Not sure what I should do. Has anyone else dealt with non- group A strep in their PANDAS child? I’m wondering if a tonsillectomy is necessary. 

So are you talking about Group B strep?

Strep B is excluded from the PANDAS definition, and it usually doesn't cause symptoms in adults.  But pregnant women are screened and treated for it, because according to Wikipedia, "Group B streptococcal infection can cause serious illness and sometimes death, especially in newborns, the elderly, and people with compromised immune systems." (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Group_B_streptococcal_infection)

Your pediatrician will naturally be dismissive if he/she doesn't believe there is a compromised immune system involved.  I don't know if it is a problem worth getting a tonsillectomy for.

Thank you, bobh. I tried to clarify with my ped whether this meant it was Group B strep, but she said, “we can’t tell which group, except that it’s NOT group A.”  So I guess my daughter may have any of the other types, but they don’t know which. And oddly, my doctor doesn’t seem interested in figuring that out. But that seems to be the theme in my struggle to get my daughter help for this past 1.5 years. 

Doctors can sometimes get intensely interested in figuring stuff out - but usually only when it is their own kid.

So, you are her only true hope - and she is lucky to have you.

I don't know anything about the other streps (I see from Wikipedia that there are B, C, D, F, G and H).