ACN Latitudes Forums

Sudden onset of severe 'humming' tic

My son, 11, has battled with tics for years although they have always been mild and mostly very manageable. Suddenly out of the blue a few weeks ago he developped a very intense humming kind of noise, very loud and constant, he is almost never quiet. In between every sentence he kind of hums (loudly!), even when he is reading or on the computer etc. In a bout of tears he mentioned he is struggling with very intense head nodding as well (though I haven't noticed this yet). He also has palallia, and stutters quite bad at the moment. We have tried a number of supplements, and have just started cbit therapy (only one session so far though). I have tried essential oils etc, but nothign pharmaceutical. I have recently been researching taurine and nac but have read positive/negative from both of thes so I haven't started giving him these yet. Starting tomorrow we are going gluten free, not dairy yet. Mostly I am looking for advice on supplements, as he has missed nearly 10 days of school in the last two weeks due to his tics. 

Other things I can think of....

He has had a cold sore from since I can remember, and is on a prophylactic antiviral. He had major improvement after three weeks of clarythromycin for a cough (so possibly pans??)  but I can't find a doctor who will prescribe me these without an obvious illness to have another try. I'm really at a total loss as to what is happening with his body and mind. We live very rurally in New Zealand, and it is almost impossible to find a decent health practitioner here. 

Off and on I give him melatonin (only 1.5 mg) so he can fall asleep at a decent hour, I'm wondering if this could affect his dopamine levels and exacerbate tics - does anyone have any experience with this?

That's a lot of random information, but maybe someone will have a few suggestions!

Cheers

Kristen

My DS 13 developed additional tics at age 11, due to yeast overgrowth.  Kids like ours tend to have a yeast imbalance already, but the antibiotics exasperate it.  We use Saccharomyces Boulardii, along with his regular probiotic.  My DS also takes Candicid Forte.  

I have read that - what probiotic do you give him? I thought I was giving him a decent one but after doing some research apparently it can exacerbate tics. I'll research those other things you mentioned. Would you give them along side nac and taurine? i'm afraid of overloading his system too

I switch between Gutpro and a Jarrow brand probiotic.  Also use Jarrow brand Saccharomyces Boulardii.  Yes, I think it’s ok at same time as NAC and taurine.  My son hates taking supplements, so I do everything all at once...maybe not ideal.  The NAC is supposed to be split up throughout the day.  Unfortunately my son is not taking as much as I’d like.  One of his triggers is taking supplements.  

• 5 weeks later...

My God, I have been feeling so alone. My 11 year old daughter began displaying a vocal humming tic about 2 days ago. This is the first time she has had a tic, ever. I have been feeling so sad, alone, scared and basically helpless. To make matters worse: 1. I tried to join a facebook page for parents of children with tics 2. I gave her an Epsom salt bath, which she soaked in for about an hour and it didn’t help much. She’s not loud, but she’s humming away over here. 

Hi Wonderful Mom -- I saw your separate post and responded there.

Please be aware that a simple single intervention does not always make a major improvement, such as giving an Epsom salt bath. It can be a relaxant for the muscles and helpful for some people, but usually other efforts are needed. Don't get discouraged and avoid feeling overwhelmed. There are many things that can be looked at. You are in a good place here in the Forums. I'll look forward to your answers to your separate post. 

To Lost99 -- it is a good thing to be looking at probiotics. I would agree with maryangela that a yeast imbalance seems to be very common with kids who have tics. It is often overlooked. Hope you have had a chance to implement that, along with dietary change to avoid foods that "feed" the yeast, and have seen some positive change. 

• 9 months later...

Hi mlee

The yeast imbalance referred to is an overgrowth of Candida albicans ie candidiasis

There are various ways of testing for candidiasis, from the non-scientific but interesting home "spit" test    

I see other "home tests" advertised on Amazon etc as well

Blood, stool & urine testing can be ordered by a physician for the greatest accuracy.

There are many websites with information & recommendations regarding Candidiasis. Just be aware, many are touting products as well which may or may not be effective! Here's one with good info (again check with your physician before just buying products that claim to "cure" ) How to Test for and Treat Candida Naturally

Thanks Chemar! After treating for yeast did you see a difference with your son’s tics? Was treating for the yeast something you did daily over a long period or just once? I will check out the link.  

My son is doing pretty well but has a small humming tic. Can’t seem to get it to go away. Hence wanting to research yeast.