ACN Latitudes Forums

Help Tics with Oregano Oil

Does anyone know why oregano oil would cause an increase in tics and stimming?

I started using NOW organic oregano oil, 3 drops in a vegetarian capsule with coconut oil. Right after my daughter takes it she starts with tics and stimming that lasts all day.

I’m sure it’s not a Herx because these symptoms never arise with a Herx. Her tics are kept very well under control normally with glutamate free diet. Any ideas? I notice improvements with the oil as well so hate to throw it out.

This doesn’t really answer your question, but we tried Oil of Wild Oregano for my son about 2 1/2 years ago. I remember reading that it was important to use oil of wild oregano vs. oil of oregano.  I don’t recall where we determined the dose, but I believe we were giving him 16 drops 3x daily. It is really hot (feels like it can burn your mouth).  We gave it to DS in orange juice.  Since my DS complained so much about taking it, we only used it for a month. During that time his OCD symptoms went from a 10 to a 7.  My husband interpreted that as not working, but looking back I realize that it was effective...and possibly would have been more effective if we continued.  The drops we used, by the way, were not diluted with olive oil or anything.    

Edited by maryangela

With new symptoms for a new supplment, I would worry about being allergic to something in it.  But what you describe doesn't sound like allergic response.  I would think that new herx symptoms could arise when something new or different is being attacked (compared to what the previous herx symptoms were).  Besides, we have found that symptoms morph over time.  So I would reconsider the herx possibility.  If they keep up over the long haul, I would tend to discount a herx theory (because herx should diminish with time, if the stuff is working to lower the number of bad guys).