ACN Latitudes Forums

Not sure where to post this

A few years ago my daughter (now 16) was diagnosed with PANDAS.  We've made tremendous strides since, and she is no longer taking medication other than a few supplements.  Her last strep infection was in 2015.

One "symptom" that remains though, is her constant need for social stimulation.  I am not sure if this is really part of the PANDAS,  or ADHD ( diagnosed before PANDAS) or possibly maybe even OCD.  It is like she needs to be entertained 24/7.  She has been like this for a long time, and maybe it is just her personality.   She can't seem to be engaged in any sedentary/quiet activities and needs to be doing something (mostly around other people) ALL the time.

During the school year, she has a pretty big homework load, and this does help occupy her.   Weekends and summer tend to be a nightmare though.  She is constantly trying to make plans (a lot are unrealistic) and be on the move for the entire day.  One day may consist of lunch plans with one friend, hanging out with another in the afternoon, and then evening plans with someone else.  Luckily, she is a good kid (an honor student) and she isn't engaging in activities that make me worry (no drugs or drinking), but her social circle is rather limited and I fear she taxes the friends that she has with her constant need to socialize.  A lot of her friends seem to be introverts, and am not sure they are up to her level of activity.

She started a part-time job, and even the days she works 8 hour shifts, she wants to go out.

I know that teens like to be with their friends.  I just feel my daughter is almost borderline obsessive with this.  And I don't think it is because she doesn't like her family.   I think she just doesn't know how to "sit" and enjoy her own company.   

Any thoughts?

Also can't relate - our kid is not as social partly because of the PANS history.  From this side of the "grass always looks greener on the other side" fence, I would almost like to have the problem.  But I don't mean to say it shouldn't be a struggle/problem.  Maybe dipping into ADHD strategies (I don't know much about them) is one approach?