ACN Latitudes Forums

Developing motor tics at a later age?

Hello, I'm 17 years old. Over the past month or two I've noticed some what I believe is tic's. It started when touching a certain part of my body (my nose) caused a tic where my arms would not have any control and my hands would curl into almost like a first involuntarily. That has been going on for about 5 months. Until the last few months they are coming without touching my nose, they come in attacks or "tic attacks". Lasting about 30 min and then they stop. My tic attacks involve my arms almost "flailing" to put into a sense but not as bad, they never extend fully. my head will twitch and turn usually to the right but sometimes the left. My hands do weird gestures like pointing, extending, holding down 1 finger and balling into fists or claw like gesture. It feels like a surge of energy being shot into my body and my body responds automatically with twitching to realse the energy, does that sound like a tic? I tried to research but it told me they come as a small child, And I'm nearly an adult. Some triggers are thinking of a stress full situation, itching my nose haha. But they come sometimes when no identified trigger. Thank you for your time! I'd like to hear your thoughts .

• 2 weeks later...

Hi moonbound ,  I would agree with you that what you are experiencing is not a classic tic. I don't think age is as much the factor (tics can develop later in life, not just as kids) but rather the type of movements you are describing.

Can you get a referral to a neurologist to get a diagnosis? There are a number of conditions that can result in different types of movement issues. Let us know, OK?