ACN Latitudes Forums

Breathing tic -advice needed

Hello,

I am a 32 year old man with mild Tourette’s syndrome. 

I have had tics on and off my whole life since I was about 5 years old. My main consultant tic has been head shaking similar to how someone would shake their head no. 

Thiughout my life I had has a few other tics come and go, like grunting, shoulder piping etc. 

Very recently, about a month ago, I developed a new tic and it’s been miserable. I have been puffing air out of my lungs in these short quick puffs  

when I puff it makes noise and people are aware. It draws attention to me and makes me self conscious, which causes anxiety which makes the tic worse! It is very frustrating  

I have been focusing on trying to stop the tic which has been affecting my breathing. I focus so hard on not puffing that I forget to breath 

any advice from anyone with a similar tic would be helpful!

thank you! 

Hi mildticer, Welcome to the forums. I see that no one jumped in here with the particular breathing tic problem you are having. Sorry to hear about it, I'm sure it is a challenge.

I wanted to mention that in a situation like this, it is sometimes helpful to think back and try to remember if anything might have changed in your life about a month ago when this started. In other words, approach it with the assumption that something caused the change.

It could be something like stress from a new job, change in relationship, or an infection.

But it could also be something like a new location for work or home (environmental issues--exposures to dust, mold, new furniture) a pet, allergies--or even a change in personal products -- cologne, for example. Also a major change in diet or drink. Or even a new or different car.  There are a number of influences that can play a role.

Can you take a little time to brainstorm anything that has changed along those lines? Please let us know.  I hope you can get back to us and also hope you are feeling better, Sheila

• 5 months later...
On 4/2/2018 at 4:44 PM, mildticer said:

Hello,

I am a 32 year old man with mild Tourette’s syndrome. 

I have had tics on and off my whole life since I was about 5 years old. My main consultant tic has been head shaking similar to how someone would shake their head no. 

Thiughout my life I had has a few other tics come and go, like grunting, shoulder piping etc. 

Very recently, about a month ago, I developed a new tic and it’s been miserable. I have been puffing air out of my lungs in these short quick puffs  

when I puff it makes noise and people are aware. It draws attention to me and makes me self conscious, which causes anxiety which makes the tic worse! It is very frustrating  

I have been focusing on trying to stop the tic which has been affecting my breathing. I focus so hard on not puffing that I forget to breath 

any advice from anyone with a similar tic would be helpful!

thank you! 

Hi. I got a similar  case.

I try to count. 1 2 3 4 to 20

I know how bad this is. I had all sort of tic come by.

I try to keep my mind occupied or distracted.

Imagine thing you know. For example. Like how does a car engine works. Imagine the engines pistons etc.

How that made?  Youtube it . Learn and for the future use  those thoughts of how the thing was made.

When you  watch a movie. Do you calm down?

Ask someone you see a movid with and ask how calm you are and how many times the tic kicked in.

Hopefully it helps.   Im 32 of and I try do beat the tics . They go on and off.