ACN Latitudes Forums

Rothman?

My daughter is in her 3rd severe flare of PANDAS, now age 12. She has lost 17% of her body weight and was an inpatient in the hospital last week, although they didn't place a feeding tube as the nutritionist recommended. She is now eating a larger quantity of food, but only 3 or 4 items due to fear of allergens. I did an intake with the Rothman center yesterday and am waiting to hear when they could get her in.  I'd love to hear your experience there or more about Rogers... I didn't even know it existed until today. What is it like doing the homework each night? We're trying to figure out feasibility of taking our whole family or if that would be too distracting for her.

Rothman was an amazing place and Dr. Rahman is very compassionate, creative, and knowledgeable.  I learned a lot that has really helped me.  My daughter was still too sick to really profit from the treatment, but  he was able to identify this.  Still what I learned was most beneficial.  It was a nice distraction to have homework to do in between sessions or at night.

The area and beaches are lovely, so not a bad place to visit!  The Ronald McDonald house is an amazing place to stay just a block away.  They have coupons and free or reduced entry to so many venues, from the aquarium to the art museum, bikes for riding, etc. There is a lot of time between sessions to fill with peaceful, fun things to do. 

Hi Misty, they do offer outpatient, we did inpatient for my son's OCD, anxiety, and managing verbal and motor tics.  I feel they worked a miracle, he was refusing to go to school for over a year, anxiety was so bad. Now he's in a great supportive boarding school. 

The facilities there are beautiful, the staff at the inpatient clinic was VERY experienced and supportive, but again...our only experience was the in patient clinic...I think best thing to do is call any facility and see if they think their program is right for your kiddo!

Let me know if you have any other questions..we've been at this for a few years!

• 3 weeks later...

If you are at the food refusal stage—she may be too sick to get the most. And imho, you can still learn about exposure response therapy and implement the basic idea at home (small, safe incremental exposures to things that raise anxiety. We had progress on some fronts but not all bc we hadn’t hit all the infections.