ACN Latitudes Forums

Overwhelmed- 7 year old has developed tics

Gaga

My 7 year old developed a head jerk tic a day after falling at school (not sure if related) X-rays were clear . I showed his GP a video of this head jerk and he said it’s behavoural just ignore it will go away. It’s been so hard for me to accept that this is happening. I recently had a baby who is colicky nd cries a lot  so that’s one change that’s happened.

I have noticed that he has become more sensitive and moody since this tic started he sometimes says things like no one loves me Anymore. 

Other people don’t seem to notice the tic and I’ve been told I’m overreacting, my husband doesn’t thinks there is a problem he doesn’t notice it that much but he’s quite busy.

i don’t discuss the tics with my son unless he mentions them for example today he was doing a funny dance with his head and said ohh mummy it looks like I’m doing this (doing the tic). Then I said ohh so you still do that then he said yes, I asked if it hurts and he said yes and pointed at the back of his neck. I then offered to give massage then he said no thanks , and no to icepack so I have him pain relief instead. I asked why he doesn’t tell me if it hurts then he ignored me ,, he doesn’t like to talk about it I guess. I’m devestated for him I worry for his future. 

He is on vitamin supplements with magnesium as well as bath salts and a magnesium spray . I have made changes to diet but that’s hard so taking it slowly. 

He goes to school which he hates , I don’t think other kids have noticed much although the teacher has told me she noticed the tic. 

he still does his activities he loves swimming , football etc notice him ticking there

i still can’t help but worry for his future if it will get worse as I have noticed him doing weired sounds although not loud and also a shoulder shrug. I’m so depressed and I can’t stop googling symptoms. 

Edited by gaga

Hi-

I know you are worried about your son.  My daughter developed a tic early on (around that age) and was mostly head nodding (so bad some times that her neck hurt).  We took her to many doctors and nothing seemed to help.  I noticed her tics were worse when she was overly tired or stressed.  She's 16 now and very rarely do I see any tics.  It's hard to watch, but hang in there.

Hi Gaga, don't worry too much.  My son has more tics when he was 7, 8 or 9.  It began to diminish now when he gets older (teenager now).  I found that when my son had beef when he was young, he had head jerking.  When we stopped giving him the beef, his head jerking stopped, but it would take like 2 weeks to completely go away.  He no longer has jerking now even he has little bit of beef. I found out the probiotic, multivitamin, sesame oil, sweet potato, dairy free diet, coconut water help him a lot.  Hope these help.  I understand it is hard for a mom to see her child experience all these.   

Hi GaGa, 

When did your son develop head/neck tic?  How long has it been going on?  Do you see an allergy connection?  Epsom salt bath will help with detox and relax his muscle.  Use 2C of salt per bath and sit for 15 to 20 minutes.  Be sure to drink filter water after to facilitate detoxification.  I would suggest you find a craniosacral practitioner to help your son ease his head/neck tic because it is gentle and noninvasive.  I totally understand what you are going thru.  Hang in there.  

Hi gaga, my 7yr old son has tics and they tend to get worse when he is overly tired or having an allergy flare up. He had the head jerking tic this past December that caused him headaches. His neuoroligist had prescribed a 250mg magnesium supplement and we noticed it made him very tired and moody. We stopped giving it to him and within a day noticed improvements in his mood and energy. We also gave him some ibuprofen to help with the headaches and help him sleep better. After a few days his head jerking tic eased up to where it wasnt causing head aches and went away after a few weeks.  We still give him magnesium baths occasionally to help calm him down before bed time.  He has other tics that he does as well but they arent as pronounced and bothersome for him. His iron levels were very low as well and takes an iron suplement. Its helped with his quality of sleep. 

My wife and I worry if his tics will get worse. What has helped ease our worry some is that we have kept a journal to find out what triggers his tics. We also found a good neorologist that is willing to take the time to help us. When my son was 4yrs old his tics started and his GP said they were habits and not to worry. We didnt accept that answer and thats when we started looking for a neorologist. 

9 hours ago, patty said:

Hi GaGa, 

When did your son develop head/neck tic?  How long has it been going on?  Do you see an allergy connection?  Epsom salt bath will help with detox and relax his muscle.  Use 2C of salt per bath and sit for 15 to 20 minutes.  Be sure to drink filter water after to facilitate detoxification.  I would suggest you find a craniosacral practitioner to help your son ease his head/neck tic because it is gentle and noninvasive.  I totally understand what you are going thru.  Hang in there.  

They started 4 weeks ago out of nowhere. It’s disturbing to watch and it confuses him , some days he says it makes him upset that he can’t stop it and some days it makes his head fuzzy and neck hurts. I’m hoping it goes soon. However I also worry that something even worse will show up

He had allergy tests done before and his main issue is grass allergy which causes red itchy and dry He has eye allergies . Which he uses an eye drop twice a day but since it has been winter we haven’t been using it much , he also takes a daily anti allergy medicine in summer / spring. 

His allergy test showed he has a dairy , nut, dust, pet hairs, soya allergy although to a minimum the main was grass which was 89%

Edited by gaga

7 hours ago, Matt4522 said:

Hi gaga, my 7yr old son has tics and they tend to get worse when he is overly tired or having an allergy flare up. He had the head jerking tic this past December that caused him headaches. His neuoroligist had prescribed a 250mg magnesium supplement and we noticed it made him very tired and moody. We stopped giving it to him and within a day noticed improvements in his mood and energy. We also gave him some ibuprofen to help with the headaches and help him sleep better. After a few days his head jerking tic eased up to where it wasnt causing head aches and went away after a few weeks.  We still give him magnesium baths occasionally to help calm him down before bed time.  He has other tics that he does as well but they arent as pronounced and bothersome for him. His iron levels were very low as well and takes an iron suplement. Its helped with his quality of sleep. 

My wife and I worry if his tics will get worse. What has helped ease our worry some is that we have kept a journal to find out what triggers his tics. We also found a good neorologist that is willing to take the time to help us. When my son was 4yrs old his tics started and his GP said they were habits and not to worry. We didnt accept that answer and thats when we started looking for a neorologist. 

I’m glad it went away for your son, it’s been 4 weeks of worry for me I use bath salts for him everyday before school and bed and occasionally use a spray which he finds stings so I use it when he’s asleep. 

I give him a multi vitamin that contains 75mg of magnesium and iron. 

When I asked him why he does that with his head he said it felt like a balloon that needed popping and he had to do it to popthe balloon.

i think anxiety triggers his because this morning on the way to school he got spooked by a cat and he did a few head jerks after.seems school is stressing him. He seems to be back to square 1 where it’s a few minutes head jerks sigh. I’m praying it goes away soon.

our neurologist explained that tics feel like urges that they have to do, kinda like an itch. So your son's explaination of needing to pop the balloon makes sense. 

Anxiety is a trigger for my son as well. While we were on vacation this past summer, we stayed on the top floor of a hotel. Every time we left the room he glanced through the railing down over the edge and would have a verbal tic that was a quick "er".   It was one of his tics that has come and gone a few times now. 

My son has bad allergies and asthma as well, grass being the worst.  Allergy and decongestant medicines are triggers for him.  Singulair and benadryl being the worst. He can take levocetirizine and nasal sprays for a short time without problems. He also gets allergy shots at the moment. He had very bad verbal and motor tics back in October and we think it was triggered by an increase in the concentration of the dose as well as the frequency. We just started getting the shots again but giving more time between shots. We are nervous about starting them back up but they have really helped his allergies and asthma.  

I'll include your son in my prayers!

5 hours ago, bernerchiro said:

You may want to look into an upper cervical chiropractor if it came on after a fall.  Not the issue with my son but I’ve seen it help with many after a trauma

Thanks, we are seeing one for a full consultation on Monday . He understands tics and said he might be able to help with tension and pain but not cure. Although he said we might see an improvement. Fingers crossed. How is your son and how are his tics 

I would make sure they are board certified in something like Orthospinology, NUCCA, Atlas Orthogonal, Blair, or Grostic.  There really is a huge difference versus traditional ones.

Seems like we are making progress but it’s only been a few days of diet change.  Flying out of state in a week to see someone who specializes in dietary changes for TS. She has been helping us over the phone on a few things until we see her. I am very hopeful at this point.  The pieces seem to all add up when looking at his previous diet related to his symptoms.  Salicylates seem to be one of the major roblems.  My 4 year old was eating 4 cucumbers and a plate of berries every single day. All very high