ACN Latitudes Forums

Why is this supplement helping my son?

jcmom

I take one scoop of this collagen powder daily. A week ago, I started giving my 5 1/2 yr old son a half scoop in his juice every day. His tics have eased up some and his behavior has been so much better. He has been able to control his emotions well the past week and he has handled disappointment well (used to have tantrums too often for his age). Does anyone know why this would be helping him?  Is there any reason I shouldn’t give this to him - could it hurt him? I will continue to monitor as I know one week of improvement is not much. 

https://www.vitalproteins.com/products/collagen-peptides

• 2 weeks later...

Hi jcmom-- I'm glad you found something that is helping your son. Is he still doing better with this?  Collagen has a large amount of glycine, which plays a role in muscle development. Collagen also affects the nervous system. For a medical explanation see here.

I saw an article that suggests the supplement may help improve the health of the gut, which we know can be linked to behavior and tic problems. However, it is not proven.  Dr. Mark Moyad, who is quoted in this article, suggests that contamination can be a problem because collagen can be derived from a number of types of animal/fish parts. However, the brand you are using is suggested as safe  Full article is here.

I hope you can please let us know if you are continuing to see improvement, and if anything else has been tried at the same time. (?)

• 3 weeks later...

Good! He got over his illness - still not sure what it was. But he’s feeling better and his tics are less, behavior is better now too. His current supplements are this collagen powder, vitamin D, NAC, Fiji water, Epsom salt baths and we just started a small dose of Enhansa. 

jcmom

my nutritionist gave us collagen powder to give our son in his smoothie. It is for gut healing given we just found out he is gluten intolerant. Are you still seeing good results with it? She also recommended bone broth. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...