ACN Latitudes Forums

Mycoplasma again...

My son's pedi ran some bloodwork and both IgG and IgM Mycoplasma antibodies came up positive. In the past only his IgG wss positive. His pedi stated that the presence of positive IgM means very recent infection. He didn't show any symptoms except excessive sleepiness/fatigue. She put him on 250mg day of azithromycin for 5 days. Should he only be on this for 5 days, or is protocol usually for a longer duration with active Mycoplasma in a PANS child? Any input would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Hi! In my experience you need far longer then 5 days. Mycoplasma is insidious and can become intercellular. My son is on biaxin which was far more effective then azithromycin. Doxy is also a good antibiotic for mycoplasma. Have you done any blood work for immune system? It turned out my son had an immune deficiency as well and has been on prophylactic antibiotics for a year now. Hope this helps!

My son takes 250 mg a day and 500 a day when he has a regression. He has taken it for over 2 years now. My oldest daughter takes 250 mg a day and my youngest takes 4 liquid ML's a day. Without the Zithromax they are all a mess. With it, they do great. It is hard to process that they are taking long term strong antibiotics. But without it they don't have a good life.