ACN Latitudes Forums

OCD and Money Counting

I have a 45 year old brother whom I believe has a type of OCD. The most glaring example that convinces me of this is his almost incessant counting of his money.

He often counts his money in one instance and a few minutes later, without spending it or taking it out in the interval, he'll count it again. It's as if he doubts his own memory.

When he was younger he used recreational drugs and this behavior was worse. He'd ask me a simple question and I'd answer it then moments later he'd ask the very same question again. I'm sure it wasn't just bad memory because I'd get pissed at him and make him repeat the answer I'd just given him. Again, it seemed like he doubted his own memory.

Is this what OCD is? The inability to trust one's memory?

hello

no, he isnt doubting his own memory as far as I know...he is however exhibiting the classical repetitive actions/thoughts that accompany OCD

He recounts the money because he feels the compulsion to do so or is obsessing over the correct amount

People with OCD will often tell you they are doing (or thinking) something because they "have to" or because they need to get it "just right"

Have you looked at the pinned thread here for useful websites and resources? Something like Cognitive Behavioral Therapy would likely benefit him. It is by far the most effective non medication way to treat OCD

• 3 years later...

Hello Chemar. Thanks for your reply.

After posting last night I did a bit of research over the internet and have found that doubting one's memory is indeed related to a form of OCD.

Please see this abstract of one such study: www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=PubMed&list_uids=9159973&dopt=Abstract

I have OCd and have problems with counting money over and over. Sometimes it is because I think maybe I counted wrong, and much of the time it is me obsessing over "Would my family be able to survive if I died today". With OCD all sort of thoughts like this constantly are going through your mind and there is no relief unless you follow a particular routine or ritual that relieves some of the anxiety. It's just hard to explain how completly overpowering that anxiety is. It literally takes up all your thought and becomes the only thing that exists when you feel it and you have to do something about it to stop it. Like planning over and over or counting over and over. Or feeling like you have to hoard money and count it repeatedly. It is terrible.