ACN Latitudes Forums

Daughter has developed some tics

Rose4891

Hi all,

my 10 year old daughter started having facial ticks a few weeks ago in the summer holidays apparently triggered by screentime. She moves her eyes to one side, opening them wide and head moves in the opposite direction to eyes - says her eyes feel like they need to stretch. We had a screen detox and the tic went away but has now come back apparently triggered by anxiety and an panic attack (first one ever). The eye thing started again and so arrived some facial twitching and excessive eye blinking. I've now found she also has an abdominal one where she moves her legs towards her and back when sitting/lying (looks like she needs the toilet or something). She also for about a year has this breathing thing where she takes very deep breaths saying she can't get enough air. I took her to docs who said this may also be a tic - just ignore and will probably go away. That's it. 

My daughter has suffered with an anxiety disorder since she was very young but it seemed to have mostly resolved until this.

Just really worried that my daughter will not outgrow this and she has yet another obstical to overcome. I read that with transient tics that disappear it's only one tic at a time which has worried me. I'm concerned about other children bullying her because of it. She starts secondary school next year. 

I haven't been drawing attention to them and trying my best not to show my own worry about them. 

Advice and/or reassurance anyone?

Thanks in advance

Hi, 

My son started to have tics the beginning of this summer. He had multiple tics such as shoulder, neck, hands and legs. He was ticking every second. After reading many postings on the platforms of this site and joined as an advanced member, I was able to read many useful articles about tics and OCD. It really helped me and reassured me.

We have given my DS fish oil, multi vitamins and probiotics as supplements in addition to the traditional Chinese herbal medicine subscribed by a Traditional Chinese medicine doctor for a month and half now. His tics are no longer noticeable. 

He just started having a cold few days ago, we gave him cold medicine. It does not seem to cause flare up n his tic. 

Hope this gives you some reassurance.

• 1 year later...

Iwei66, which fish oils helped ?

On 8/24/2017 at 3:11 AM, lwei66 said:

Hi Hope36

How is your daughter now?

I am new here because my 8 yr-old son developed Tics about 1 1/2 months ago. On the worst days, he was ticcing every second. As a dad, I worry so much with tons of anxiety myself.

I gave my son Fish Oil and some Cod Liver Oil. We also give my son herbal medicine. So far, the situation has improved some what.  Tics frequency improved from every second to 2 or 3 tics a minute. Sometimes we see 10 minute tic free intervals.

Following Dr. DeMare's book on Natural treatment for TS and tics, I am now doing detective work to figure out the triggers for my son's tics. I do believe that my son's tics was epigenetic and brought onset by environmental/dietary triggers. It will take time to slowly identify the triggers and then hope that there is ways to address each of the triggers.

Hope that your daughter's situation has improved.

On 9/18/2017 at 11:05 AM, lwei66 said:

Hi, 

My son started to have tics the beginning of this summer. He had multiple tics such as shoulder, neck, hands and legs. He was ticking every second. After reading many postings on the platforms of this site and joined as an advanced member, I was able to read many useful articles about tics and OCD. It really helped me and reassured me.

We have given my DS fish oil, multi vitamins and probiotics as supplements in addition to the traditional Chinese herbal medicine subscribed by a Traditional Chinese medicine doctor for a month and half now. His tics are no longer noticeable. 

He just started having a cold few days ago, we gave him cold medicine. It does not seem to cause flare up n his tic. 

Which fish oils helped 

On 9/18/2017 at 11:05 AM, lwei66 said:

Hi, 

Which multi vitamins? Did he only use herbs from a TCM or do other stuff ? Your TCM practitioner is familiar w tics ?