ACN Latitudes Forums

Bettering mental function through diet and supplements

Hi Everyone,

And welcome to all the newcomers.

Son has been doing pretty good for the last 5 weeks risperdal free. We did notice he was having some increased vocals, but they are no way what they were last year.

I'm looking for some advice about keeping his dopamine down (if possible) through the diet.

Could someone help me understand how my son needs to eat foods high in tryptophan (meat) so it could be converted to serotonin. Yet foods high in protein contain tyrosine which helps the brain make dopamine.

Does vitamin C help the brain to make dopamine? My son is to have 2000mg of vit.C ,and I'm watching to see if he is ticcing more because of that.

The other thing is he caught a bug last week and was real sick. Again he made no noise and had no motor tics for 2 days while sick. I asked him to help me understand how he does not tic during the illness, and he said he didn't know other then he doesn't think about ticcing when he is sick. Is that OCD?

Thanks for the help,

C.P.

Hi CP

so glad your son is doing so well off the risperdal

Turkey is one of the best meats re serotonin but overall, trying to get neurotransmitter boosts from meat is nto sufficient if there is a deficiency

You are always going to end up with the dopamine effect as well, which is why, if serotonin is needed, a supp like Inositol, Methionine or, if very deficient, 5HTP works best

One just cant eat a healthy diet and totally avoid stimulating dopamine

Vitamins like C will work synergestically in biochemistry, but I have not heard anything specific re vit C stimulating serotonin

your child is one of a very few I know of who tics less when ill......so cant help on that but no, I dont think it is OCD linked

sorry not much help to you on this, but hope someone else will be along with more input

God Bless, CP

Cheri

Thanks Chemar,

I tried the inositol tonight and he seemed to get very silly and more vocals. I gave it to him about 4:00, what time of the day should he take it?

Have you heard of more ticcing with inositol?

Boosting one's serotonin does not mean that will lower dopamine right?

I really don't know if he needs serotonin, he showed a impaired tryptophan metabolism which looks to be caused from a B6 deficiency.

Thanks for your help,

C.P.

CP

how much INositol are you giving and what else is it mixed with?

also, is he getting B6? as you mentioned that is likely the root cause of the tryptophan problem??

Inositol, being a B vitamin, is generally very safe to give but it does need B6 to be properly absorbed. Many brands add B6 to the mix

Hi Chemar,

I got a pure powder form, that has no other ingredients. 1/4 tsp = 700mg. I took my 1/8 tsp and tried to give him only half that, so I would say it was 1/16 of a tsp. I would guess he got about 200mg or so. I gave it to him with orange juice.

He is taking 100mg of B6, and has since Feb.

He seems fine this morning.

God Bless,

C.P.

CP

we used Inositol in morning and 5HTP at night for when my son's OCD was sky high

since that has stabilised, he takes 500mg Inositol a day (no 5HTP) in the evenings before dinner, with the rest of his night time supps(including B6)

Hi C.P.

re the hyperness and more vocal tics? What brand of inositol are you using? I was just looking at the corn allergy "list" to look up some ingredients in a box of cookies, and was surprised to see inositol on it. (you are avoiding corn, right?) I guess that means some inositol could contain corn. The brand I have is Vital Nutrients given by our naturo and it states "no corn, etc." You might just want to check the label.

http://www.cornallergens.com/list/corn-allergen-list.php

I am waiting to experiment with that again too. Please keep us posted if you try again.

Good luck,

Faith

Wow Faith,

Thanks that just shocked me.

Solaray is the brand, it says it has no other ingredients other than inositol. I guess I'll have to call the CO. and ask. I didn't give it to him yesterday because I didn't want to confuss more tics do to a baseball game or the inositol.

Thanks Faith,

C.P.