ACN Latitudes Forums

Antibiotic side effects!

So I've recently attended a much needed ENT appointment, and am awaiting immunomodulation therapy overseas.

During the physical exam the Dr pushed a camera up my nose which showed a whole load of green gunk! Thankfully she prescribed a 5 week course of clarithromycin (500mg for the first 5 days, 250mg there after). The medicine has resulted in an almost instant benefit on cognition and sleep, but has gave me some ghastly side effects - mostly stomach cramping and toilet trouble. Will this pass during the course of treatment? Or will it only pass after termination of the medication? I really don't want to give up the beneficiary effects of the medicine as I have noticed a slight but noticeable improvement.

Anyone had similar experiences or could shed some light to the matter?

Many thanks

Gastro-intestinal distress is a classic, typical response to antibiotics.  Though these side effects are likely to diminish over time as your body adjusts, there are some steps you can take to diminish them now.  Especially some substantial probiotics.  Sachromycces boulardi is especially effective in combatting diarrhea, and regular probiotics during antibiotic treatment will help keep your gut's flora balanced and reduce gas, cramping, etc.  Most of us go pretty heavy with them -- up to 200 billion units per day.  And don't rely on acidolpholus (ubiquitous in those "Pearls" you can purchase in the grocery and common in many yogurts, kefirs and cheeses, as well) since acidolpholus is one strain of flora that is very susceptible to antibiotics.  You'll want to rely, instead, on strains like sach b, lactobacillus (Culturelle), and the bifo strains since they tend to survey antibiotics to a much greater degree.  Good luck!

Yes Bobb, thanks. They are currently in the process of scheduling scans and I have been offered possible surgery of the sinuses. Dr K has wrote back to me regarding treatment details and costs to include T&A and IVIG. At the moment he is only offering his services in Chicago, so I guess after sinus surgery I'll have to organise a visiting visa for treatment. This sounds rather complicated, I hope it won't be a lengthy process. Of course, it means I won't be able to attend university for another year! I just feel my life slipping away.

One of the reasons why I've become so isolated in my life is due to selective mutism and the fear of talking in social situations. 

It's a horrible position to be in, I just hope I get the potentially  life changing treatment in time! :/

UK guidelines don't allow for either T&A or IVIG in the treatment of pandas.

Where did you hear that?  Did your doctor tell you?  I had that impression, that you couldn't have it, but I didn't know what were the actual guidelines involved if any.

I did Open University myself, by the way.  Just a thought to consider.  You can )I think) transfes credit if next year you find you're able to go to a regular universiy.

Hope your innards are bettee by now.  If not, try and get peppermint oil capsules, I always saay that, they work like magic on some kinds of stomach trouble - they dpn#t work for everything but always worth a try.  Healthspan.co.uk have got them.

19 minutes ago, Wombat140 said:

Where did you hear that?  Did your doctor tell you?  I had that impression, that you couldn't have it, but I didn't know what were the actual guidelines involved if any.

I did Open University myself, by the way.  Just a thought to consider.  You can )I think) transfes credit if next year you find you're able to go to a regular universiy.

Hope your innards are bettee by now.  If not, try and get peppermint oil capsules, I always saay that, they work like magic on some kinds of stomach trouble - they dpn#t work for everything but always worth a try.  Healthspan.co.uk have got them.

Hi Wombat,

Im currently registered at UWE on medical leave, so I have a year to make a decent functional recovery. Thanks for your advice, yes I've been taking lots of dietary supplements including Vit D, garlic capsules etc. I definitely look out for peppermint. No, I'm having the T&A done privately now through Bupa. I recently had my NHS ENT consult (with a internationally recognised ENT), who thankfully allowed me to trial the abx (clarithromycin) and scheduled me for possible sinus surgery. She is aware of the preliminary diagnosis of pandas and my consultation with Dr K but said T&A's are generally prohibited according to NHS guidelines so was recommended a private consult.

I suppose your in a similar position to me being at a similar age, I hope you've sought efficacious treatment too. Please let me know your progress, I wish you all the best, and if you need to talk sometime, I'm always here.

I'll  definitely heed the advice; thanks again!

Edited by Hitman3161

Thanks yourself.  It's nice somehow to know one othe person in the UK who's dealing with this, even if we don't actually overlap very much what with having (what seem to be) differe t infections!  As for me, I'm doing my best but it's difficult because my symptoms make it next to impossible for me to travel; I could never go to Chicago like you're thinking of doing.  I've posted on your other thread.