ACN Latitudes Forums

Weight gain after starting antibiotics

My DS14 started his first abx, Zithromax at end of May for three weeks. I noticed he gained weight a month later.

He started the first combination abx (Zithromax and Certin) four days ago. His tummy looks bloating a lot in the a few days. He did not eat extra but instead ate less at meal time (still needs 3-4 snacks each day). His loose/watery stool started on day 2 on the combination abx and still continues today.

What does this symptom mean? Do antibiotics cause weight gain?

Any advices will be appreciated!

I don't think we saw true weight gain as a result of the abx themselves, but as his health returned and he felt less anxious and more himself, his appetite improved, he slept better, and he spent fewer calories pacing and fidgeting, so our DS gained some weight over his healing period, also.  Is it possible you're seeing these contributory results, rather than the gain being directly tied to the abx themselves?

As for the bloated tummy, I'm sure you know that abx can cause some GI distress.  Are you also giving your DS a good probiotic (ideally, dosed a few hours apart from the abx dosing)?  I would especially recommend sachromycces boulardi, or "sach b," which is a good/beneficial yeast that fights off candida and other "bad yeasts" that can build when you take antibiotics and improves upon diarrhea, bloating, gas, etc.  You can find it at your pharmacy under the "Florastor" brand name, or at places like the Vitamin Shoppe or Whole Foods under other, less expensive brands like Jarrow.

In our DS's case, while he did experience some GI issues early in the abx regimen, over time and with the help of the probiotics, his body adjusted and then there were no more issues in that regard.  Hopefully you'll experience something similar.

Yes, I agree with MomWithOCDSon, a good probiotic, or even rotating 2 or 3 brands, is very important while on antibiotics. I'm sensitive to Sach B. so I take Custom Probiotics and Theralac. If the bloating and diarrhea continue though, I'd call the doctor and see what they say. Some kids need a supplement or a medicine to actively fight yeast while on abx.

Thanks everyone for the sharing/ advice!

My son actually has taken probiotics (Klaire Labs - Ther-Biotic Complete 25 billion) for 5-6 years. Our LLND recommended 200 billon per day during the combination abx. So, he is taking Klaire Labs Ther-Biotic Factor 6 (100 billion) 2 capsules a day. But his loose/watery stool still continues (today is day 5). It usually came out after taking the probiotics 15 to 30 minutes. Not sure if this is not right probiotics for him or the dose increased too quickly and too much! (jumped from 25 billions to 200 in one day).

How many billions did your kids take daily?

MomWithOCDSon: Does sachromycces boulardi contain dairy and gluten ingredients? My son is allergic to them. Which brand are you using?

mama2alex: I saw Custom Probiotics adult formula from amazon. Thinking it may be not the one you give to your child. Would you please send me the link or full name of the one you are taking?

Thanks a lot!

While taking antibiotics, my DS took about 200 billion units daily of mixed probiotics:  sach b, Culturelle (lactobacillus gg), and a mixed strain probiotic by Renew Life.

I don't believe the sach b contains either dairy or gluten; the brand we used was Jarrow.

On 7/30/2017 at 7:29 PM, MomWithOCDSon said:

While taking antibiotics, my DS took about 200 billion units daily of mixed probiotics:  sach b, Culturelle (lactobacillus gg), and a mixed strain probiotic by Renew Life.

I don't believe the sach b contains either dairy or gluten; the brand we used was Jarrow.

What was the reason that your child took mix probiotics but not single one?

Was it recommended by your doctor?

Thanks!

The mixed probiotic was not specifically doctor-recommended.  She recommended the Culturelle, but frankly, she's a fairly conventional, western-trained physician and not really well-versed in or even especially receptive to any "natural," homeopathic or even integrative medical treatments.  So I think she mentioned Culturelle due to its ubiquitous nature and availability in the grocery store, etc.

We started the mixed-strain based on discussions and experiences posted here on the forum, as combined with the fact that the Renew Life was readily available at our local Vitamin Shoppe and Whole Foods stores, and we could get it in a 60 billion unit single capsule, which helped cut down on the sheer number of pills/capsules DS had to consume in a given day.  Also figured that the broader the variety of flora in the gut, the greater likelihood that it would survive the abx, foods, etc. and crowd out the bad stuff -- like candida and c-difficile. 

It worked for us, but I'm sure everyone's gut biome is highly individualized.

All the best!

On 7/30/2017 at 7:29 PM, MomWithOCDSon said:

Thanks for the great sharing/ advice!

How many billion Sach b and how many billon Renew life (Is the one with Extra Care?) for the total 200 billon?

Thank you!

The Jarrow sach b is only 5 billion units/capsule, so we gave him one of those in the morning and one again at night; the same with Culturelle, as the most potent form of that I've been able to find was 10 billion units per capsule.  We made up the rest with the Renew Life Ultimate Flora which is actually 100 billion units per capsule.  So, in the depths of it all, he was getting slightly more than 200 billion units.  We cut back once we stopped the abx.

Looking on the web just now, it looks as though Renew Life now actually has a 200 billion unit formulation, so you could cut back on some of the dosing with that.  I think it only comes in a powder form, though, which you'd need to mix into some friendly liquid or soft food, like yogurt, pudding or juice.

18 hours ago, MomWithOCDSon said:

The Jarrow sach b is only 5 billion units/capsule, so we gave him one of those in the morning and one again at night; the same with Culturelle, as the most potent form of that I've been able to find was 10 billion units per capsule.  We made up the rest with the Renew Life Ultimate Flora which is actually 100 billion units per capsule.  So, in the depths of it all, he was getting slightly more than 200 billion units.  We cut back once we stopped the abx.

Looking on the web just now, it looks as though Renew Life now actually has a 200 billion unit formulation, so you could cut back on some of the dosing with that.  I think it only comes in a powder form, though, which you'd need to mix into some friendly liquid or soft food, like yogurt, pudding or juice.

So,your son actually took 2 capsules for Sach b, and  also two capsules Renew Life Ultamate Flora?

Once you were done for abx, how many billion for each probiotic you gave to him?

Thanks a lot!