ACN Latitudes Forums

Diarrhea after Ceftin and incresed dose of probiotic! Please help!

My DS 14 started Zithromax and Ceftin three days ago. This is his first run with combination abx. Our LLND also increased probiotics to 200 billion per day (My boy only took 25 billion in past five years).

Note: My DS is allergic to Amoxicillin!

--Day 1: No obvious change but the stool seemed softer than before.

--Day2: --His stool became loose and kind of watery. (not very watery, not sure if it should be considered diarrhea)

--The odor of the stool was extremely MILD and is big different smell than his stool before (In past years, his stool usually had very strong odor that can still be smelled for 1—2 hours after it was gone by flush the toilet)

1. Is the loose/watery stool an allergy symptom that he cannot tolerate Ceftin?

(He had NO such reaction when first time took Zithromax in June so it is not from Zith)

2. He took the two antibiotics with other supplements include multivitamins (only apart 10-15 minutes. I have moved these supplements to afternoon today).

--Is it possible that the watery stool was caused by the possible interaction with antibiotics and vitamins especially B12 that may impair the efforts of the antibiotic to kill the source of the infection?

3. Is it probably because his dose of probiotic increased too much on one day? He got another watery stool in 10—15 minutes after taking 200 billion probiotic yesterday afternoon.

-- I called the clinic and the LLND recommended increasing dose of the probiotic and continue Ceftin for couple more days.

But I felt something not correct in my instinct.

Any input/advice will be appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...

I would consider adding saccharomyces boulardii.  S. boulardii is a yeast that is known to help with c. diff and diarrhea generally.  My kiddo did not do well on s. boulardii the few times I have given it to him (increases his OCD), but it can fix diarrhea quickly.  I'd try it as a one-time dose and then see what happens.  Florastor is a brand of s. boulardii.  Jarrow also sells a less-expensive one that we have used.