ACN Latitudes Forums

Bactrim and MTHFR mutation

I heard many good feedbacks about Bactrim and really considered adding it to my son's combine abx. However, I found out that people who have MTHFR mutation cannot take Bactrim.

My DS was tested heterozygous for MTHFR C677T and negative for A1298C, which may effect folate metabolism to 35%.

Just wondered if anyone else with MTHFR issues take Bactrim without problems?

Thank you!

My child is compound heterozygous for MTHFR (A1298C and C677T).  He was on Bactrim with zero problems, in combination with Biaxin and Ceftin, for about three months.  That was a few yrs ago.

A rather significant percentage of the population have at least one MTHFR polymorphism (like 40%).  I have never heard anything about people with MTHFR polymorphisms not being able to use particular antibiotics and I'd question the source of that info.

A more interesting question in my mind would be the polymorphisms related to the liver (e.g. CYP2D6 and the others listed in the genetic genie detox profile).  Certain antibiotics like rifampin affect processing in the liver (for rifampin, I think phase 1), and others are just hard on the liver (like diflucan) in which case I'd tweak how the medication was given, such as time of day compared to other meds, add liver support supplements, etc.  None of that is to say that anything in particular is contraindicated with certain liver polymorphisms, just that it may be cause to tweak a protocol.  (My big exception would be psychiatric medications, one reason we are afraid to go near them, my kiddo's crappy genetics.)

jan251,

Thanks for the sharing. It is an encouragement !

1. Did your child take Bactrim for treating  Bartonella? 

2. How much progresses have you seen in the combination with Bactrim?

3. How many abx runs you did include Bactrim?

Thank you!

At the time, our ND made a clinical diagnosis of bartonella, without bloodwork.  We made zero progress, but then we've never made any progress on the OCD at any time.  Recently, we did blood testing through Immunosciences, which was entirely negative.  So, I have nothing useful to report because it seems he doesn't really have bart, notwithstanding controversies over testing accuracy.  We only did Bactrim during that 3-month combination protocol with ceftin and biaxin.

On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 5:14 AM, bigmighty said:

My son also is compound heterozygous for MTHFR (A1298C and C677T).  He has been on Bactrim for 17 months with no problems.

Thanks for the sharing.

1. Did your child take Bactrim also for treating  Bartonella? 

2. How much progresses have you seen in the combination with Bactrim?

3. How many abx runs you did include Bactrim?

Thank you!