ACN Latitudes Forums

Proper Antibiotics for Lyme / PANDAS

Hello,

Where might I find a list of dosages and antibiotic types that are effective for both Lyme and PANDAS?

We are unsure of which it is if any as we are waiting for blood work to return.

I have a 7 year old who improved 50-70% on amoxicillion (called Clavulin) but wonder if the dosage is not strong enough or if it is the right type of antibiotic.

Clavulin is amoxicillan plus clavulanic acid, the same thing as Augmentin (the generic bottle would typically say something like "amox-clav").  As far as I know, it treats both lyme and strep.  Treating lyme (and co-infections, which are to be expected) is a huge can of worms.  I would see an LLMD.

Just a quick note to add : Amoxicillin comes from a family of antibiotics containing the beta lactem ring - a core structure residing within the chemical composition that dictates their mechanism of interaction. Their primary mode of action is to inhibit or interfere with the biosynthesis of the outer cell wall, attaching to its surface and destroying the bacteria in question. As such, they are indicated in the treatment of both Lyme and Strep, but may not be as effective in treating certain other types of co-infection. Mycoplasma in particular doesn't possess a cell wall so isn't nearly as sensitive to that class of abx, but does tend to be responsive to the tetracycline class.

The above is only to provide a little information on how amoxicillin basically works. 

As Jan said, treatment is a very complicated process dependent on so many variables including but certainly not limited to the number and type of infections present. Your best bet would be to see an LLMD, who is also well versed in PANDAS, and who can make a well informed assessment based on the clinical picture.

Hope this helps, and best of luck!!

Edited by Hitman3161

This does help but doesn't quite help me to understand if my daughter is on the right antibiotic.

it seems that the antibiotic kicks in and works well but symptoms increase between doses.

this leads me to believe that the antibiotic may not be the right one.

Does anyone have experience using both clavulin (augmentin) and zithro?

anecdotally it seems that zithromycin works faster and better based on forum comments?

i of course am working with a doctor but do want to see what others have experienced and learn from others.

Edited by Looking4answers

You will need an LLMD ( Lyme literate doc). I also suggest getting Dr Richard Horowitz's books on Lyme. His most recent one has a bit more that is relevant to PANS but both are very good and he goes over the abx recommendations. When there is Lyme there is often co-infections and you will need to figure out which you are dealing with to treat appropriately. Some require anti-parasitic or anti malaria like meds. 

Sirena