Jump to content
ACN Latitudes Forums

Recommended Posts

I have been reading the forum and looking at other sites on Pandas/Lyme. We started out with Pandas and then discovered a telltale Bart rash now (no other evidence of Bart/lyme except a borderline/ equivocal test). We are considering a tonsillectomy followed by IVIG, but now that we think it is lyme are wondering whether to hold off and treat the lyme first. Any thoughts? We will probably have to pay out of pocket for the IVIG and have read underlying lyme can make symptoms worse after IVIG? Does that happen? Any advice would be great.

Link to post
Share on other sites

You should absolutely address Lyme and coinfections before beginning IVIG, especially if you are paying out of pocket.  You may, like so many others, find that your son needs 3 or more rounds of IVIG, and those still may not be effective if Lyme and coinfections are playing a role.  Although IVIG will boost his immune system, it can't take the place of aggressive antibiotic/anti-malarial treatment.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, laure said:

You should absolutely address Lyme and coinfections before beginning IVIG, especially if you are paying out of pocket.  You may, like so many others, find that your son needs 3 or more rounds of IVIG, and those still may not be effective if Lyme and coinfections are playing a role.  Although IVIG will boost his immune system, it can't take the place of aggressive antibiotic/anti-malarial treatment.  

Thank you-this is very helpful. The main Pandas doc said we could hold off a bit anyway. Now how to tell is the lyme and co have been treated properly...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...