ACN Latitudes Forums

Question about Probiotics

I'm looking into getting on a better probiotic (the one I'm currently on is not very strong) but I have a couple of questions:

I want to get a pandas/pans friendly probiotic and I have read that it is important to avoid strains of streptococcus... does this include all strains?  One of the probiotics I was looking into only contains one streptococcus strain and it is streptococcus thermophilus... not sure if this is okay?

Is there anything else I should know about probiotics and choosing the right one?  I have been sensitive to previous probiotics in the past but I seem to be much less sensitive and fragile to supplements and meds now so I'm hoping I won't have any trouble!

Thanks in advance.

Like many other things, the whole streptococcus in probiotics issue is one for which there are multiple -- and sometimes contrary -- opinions.  If you search here on the forum for "probiotics" threads, you'll see that some doctors have advised staying away from all strep strains, and others have argued that those strains, in those formats, have no negative impact.

If you've been sensitive in the past, might it not be good to start out with a single strain probiotic, and then add another single-strain and so on, so that you can monitor what, if anything, seems to be problematic rather than helpful?  I agree that a good-quality multi-strain probiotic is ideal, but it might be tough to discern the wheat from the chaff in your case.   Many folks here have used Klaire products, and we like the Renew Life line.

I would search this forum for the probiotics threads, however; there's a lot of information there, including research papers, personal experiences dating back some time among the participants here, etc.

Good luck!