ACN Latitudes Forums

Water filters

I'm looking for advice on water filters, both for drinking water and bathing.  I'm renting, so my options are limited.  I'm feeling overwhelmed trying to figure out what I should be purchasing. Reverse osmosis for drinking water- but is there one that's the best that I can remove when necessary? And for bathing- is there a good option? It seems like the filters that go on showerheads don't get everything, unless I'm just not looking in the right place, or there's something I'm missing. I'm really not sure where the best place to look or purchase is.  This is a priority for me, so I'm willing to make an investment in good filters, but I'm also poor.

I want to remove everything.  My kids have high lead, but my daughter was in the 95th percentile for things like perchlorate and several other non metal things.  She also gets rashes from bathing, even when no soap or shampoo is used, so the water must be irritating her skin. I want to remove everything I can. 

I am not a water expert, but I do recognize reverse osmosis as being able to take a lot of stuff out (but apparently not absolutely everything).  But I believe its expensive.

If you could get any more information about what the offending substance is, that might help you save money.  But of course, its hard to get that info, so I can understand the shotgun approach.  Watch out for slick salesman that tell you some cheap filter gets everything out.