ACN Latitudes Forums

Antibiotics after IVIG or Plasma Exchange Treatment

It's been awhile since I have been on to given an update on my son. He is doing well and finished a year of plasma exchange treatments in July 2015. His energy levels are much better but he is still on supplements and medications. He has not had any strep infections and still takes penicillin VK 250 mg daily. In addition to his supplements and medications, he also takes the 90 billion Ultimate Flora probiotic for men. My son is 17. He was 13 years old when the Cunningham Panel test was run and antibodies were found in December 2013. He started treatment with high dose antibiotics, then IVIG, and then went on to Plasma Exchange. My son has been on antibiotics since December 2013. What I am wondering about is how long is too long to stay on antibiotics? I am afraid he could have a relapse if taken off. His doctor wants to leave him on the antibiotics because of a possible relapse. Are any of you dealing with this situation? Would love to know your opinions. 

I have no idea but I'd love to hear about plasma exchange.  Did you see any benefit from IVIg only?  For the plasma exchange, how many days PEX?  Did you follow PEX with IVIg?  After starting plasma exchange, how long before you saw improvement in OCD, if that was a symptom?  Thank you!

DS17 has been on 875mg - 1000mg Augmentin since 2012. I'm sure most bacteria are resistant by now, which makes me think the abx is only affecting the cells across and in his BBB. 

The probiotics he takes seem to be working all these years (Florastor and switching between 2 types of Klaire and Theralac).

Sigh.

Edited by tj21
typo

• 1 month later...