ACN Latitudes Forums

PANDAS and appendicitis

I am new here. My daughter 10 was diagnosed with PANDAS this last year while we were in the US. We are from the US but live in a third world country. I have learned so much from this forum. Thanks to everyone!!!!

Anyway, her symptoms (tics and verbal tics, emotional liability) were really bad for a few months. The only thing that helped was the zithromax 1 every 5 days. Then she had an appendicitis just 2 weeks ago. Almost immediatly after surgery she was better. I just have her on amox. now and she is doing great. I wonder if the appendix problem was there for a while being masked with the antibiotics and taxing her immune system?

Anyone else experience this?

I guess I should mention when I say she is better I mean doing better. Not tic free. Just better than before.

Also, I have been giving her calcium/magnesium/zinc supplement but when she had the ultrasound to confirm the appendicitis they found a kidney stone. Does anyone know if I should still give her the calcium or if it could have caused the kidney stone?

thanks! :)

I don't think the antibiotic would mask the pain of the appendicitis. I do however think that it may have kept her from getting a serious infection if it had already burst. Either way, I am glad to hear she came through everything so well. I probably would hold back or decrease the calcium/mag if she has a kidney stone. You could ask the docotor to be sure. I have chronic issues with kidney stones and am not able to take any calcium supplements, but it may be different with children. I would check with her doctor before taking her off, as I am sure it has been beneficial with her tics. Good Luck.

Dedee