ACN Latitudes Forums

Newly Diagnosed

Hi there, 

My 5 year old was just diagnosed (on Monday) with Tourette Syndrome and I'm feeling a little lost. Lost, sad, frustrated, scared, nervous, etc. I know my emotions will settle down eventually and we will start to work towards acceptance and treatments. We have been suspecting this for quite some time. Tics began in January of 2016 when she was just 4 years old. But hearing the diagnosis confirmed has been hard. I want her to be proud of who she is and understand that she's not weird or bad or anything, so I've been trying to speak positively about the diagnosis while being honest with her. She says the tics don't bother her and she isn't getting picked on for it in school (yet). 

I just wanted to find a place to reach out and connect with others who have experience with this. 

Thanks for listening!

Hi and welcome

Sorry for the delay...our forums have just had a software update!

I do want to encourage you....my son got his TS dx when 10yo (tho his tics started much younger) and he is now past his mid 20s and doing fine!

We found following a more natural and complementary treatment protocol worked better for him than conventional meds.

I hope you find the support and information to help you and your daughter.

We're definitely interested in a more natural approach to things. She's too young, in my opinion to explore medication. Also, anything that I've read about medication so far has sounded scary to me. We are dealing with some hyperactivity, OCD, and behavioral issues as well, but it's not affecting her too much in school so far and I guess that's what's most important. I think when she comes home and is awful and emotional/angry it may be in part because she's holding her tics back a bit in school for hours. I know she tics a bit in public but not to the degree that she does at home because her tics currently involve humming/singing, and being able to stand. It's got to be hard for her.