ACN Latitudes Forums

Dr. Murphy or Dr. Latimer

Hi guys,

My kiddo was diagnosed with PANDAS in 2015. We have tried various treatments- so more effective than others- but we are still struggling. We are in Texas but are willing to go wherever to find the right doctor. I am wondering if any of you have met with either Dr. Tanya Murphy or Dr. Elizabeth Latimer, and if so, what you thought.

Appreciate your feedback!

Kathleen

I've heard Murphy is mainly good for diagnosis, not so stellar for treatment.

You have 2 leading PANDAS physicians in Texas. I would not recommend travelling to the East Coast in your case.

Here's a provider list (by state) from Pandas Network

http://www.pandasnetwork.org/research-resources/us-providers/

• Dr. Sesgagiri Rao (Leading PANDAS Physician)
    Immunologist
    972-964-7374
    Plano, TX
    will treat more complicated cases involving PANDAS and Autism

• Dr. Bruce Russell (Leading PANDAS Physician)
    Pediatrician
    361-749-1930
    Port Aransas, TX
    May not be accepting new patients.
    Will treat more complicated cases involving PANDAS and Autism
Edited by eamom

Moleculera just posted this on their FB page:

Excerpts from an interview with pediatrician and immunologist Dr. Seshagiri Rao, of Texas:

"I think parents are very smart. Sometimes I see parents whose child has just developed symptoms, maybe a month ago, two months ago. These days with social networking, parents are very well connected and most of the time it is not the pediatricians but other parents who guide them."

"Its very important for pediatricians and primary care physicians to trust the parents. If the doctor says 'I dont believe in PANDAS', the parents are left living a very difficult . That's what some of them call it. If the physician cannot give treatment, they can at least support the parents and try to find someone familiar with the disorder. That does not happen and it's a shame."

"When I started, I used to see maybe 8 or 10 cases of PANDAS each year. Now I see around 8 new cases every week. Ive got patients from Georgia, North Carolina, Alabama, Tennessee, Arkansas and Oklahoma, mainly because they cannot find anyone who will acknowledge the condition and treat it."

• 2 months later...

Dr. Latimer offers a whole range of more advanced treatments than Dr. Murphy including Rituxamib, Cellcept and PEX. Murphy barely offers much in the way of treatment to most, IMO. We have seen Murphy and would have gone to Latimer, but I found local treatment. I do know many parents who have been to both.