ACN Latitudes Forums

Strep A not going away on 3 abx

Anyone had this?

Son 8 had T&A 3 tears ago. No strep throat since then.

On long-term Augmentin/Biaxin combo 2.5 years, and monthly LD IVIG 1.5 years.

Got strep throat 2 weeks ago (strep A)...added Rifampin...still positive...

Headed to ENT next week.

If the augmentin/biaxin is a prophylactic dose, it may not be doing the job because it is too low. Alternately, if it is a good strong dose, then the strep got a hold despite it's presence - so maybe your son has a strain resistant to these abx.

Hopefully, the ENT might recommend another abx to try.

Augmentin and biaxin are treatment dose, but used prophylactically (i.e. long-term).

This is straight forward strep A though we've had odd ones elsewhere in the body D & F....

Both boys are immune deficient, but levels are now above normal at high end.

I am most curious about this brand new, highly infected tonsil tissue!!! Ewww!

Just happy that there are no flares....

Edited by Gpookie

My daughter continued to get strep (or it never went away) on Augmentin, Zithromax, and Rifampin together.

We found an herb that knocked it out. Google Stephen Buhner (He is mostly a lyme doc) and strep. I followed his recommendations and my daughter is finally strep free. i am keeping her on the cryptolepis indefinitely.

I started with just 5-6 drops three times a day and increased. It dissolves a gelcap very quickly but I fill a 000 size (big one) up three times a day (about 75 drops) and give it to her quickly before the capsule dissolves. She is doing so much better and finally healing.

I gave the echinacea every hour for two weeks as best I could. Now I give one dropper mixed with water 3 times per day.

She is 13 and 85 pounds.

The dose I am giving is on the high end but she had strep that no antibiotics could eradicate for 6-7 months. We are also doing HD IVIG for immune deficiency.

Thanks mmw! That's super helpful! I think we will be doing a round of clindamycin with a pinch of rifampin, but I want to immediately follow it with something else for longer term and it sounds like cryptolepis might fit the bill.

Edited by jan251