ACN Latitudes Forums

teeth grinding

My daughter and myself both grind our teeth. She just started doing this in the last two weeks or so. I notice it is especially intense after she eats specific things......one I noticed was an apple and once a peach. the last few nights immediately after brushing her teeth, she grinded really hard too. Could it be something in these foods and/or toothpaste? I know after I brush my teeth, i feel the need to grind and do a couple other tics also. It's like my teeth feel "slippery" (best word i could think of) and i feel like grinding them. I wonder if it's a SID thing.

I think I've read a few other posts about teeth grindng and giving Pantothenic Acid (B5) works. If I myself am already taking a Bcomplex would an extra B5 be OK? how about for a 4 yo......does B5 come in a form she'd be able to take? she can't swallow pills.

Any insight on teeth grinding would be appreciated as well as any success you've all had to alleviate it.

Thanks!

Nadine

Nadine

teeth grinding (aka bruxism) is a very common tic and is often also OCD related (those times when tics become OCD and vice versa)

PANTOTHENIC ACID( aka vitamin B5) is excellent at stopping this tic as is ROYAL JELLY (i find the one from beealive.com to be best)

Royal Jelly is rich in pantothenic acid and in other B vits too

My son had serious problems with tooth grinding and we tried everything, including mouthguards, but it wasnt till he started taking the B5 that it stopped completely

powerofprayer: the 'keep out of reach of children' is more a safety thing for if a kid were to play with and eat the contents

a 4 yo would normally be taking a chidren's RDA dose of B5 anyway in their multivitamin so you should still safely be able to give a bit more. You may want to check with your doc on dose advice. My son was 12 when he had it and so it is hard to compare, plus he was over 130 lb. he took 100mg per day

• 4 weeks later...

Chemar,

I have a question regarding grinding teeth. I have three children and all of my kids do this in their sleep to the point that you can even hear them from outside there room. I do not notice it while they are awake. Even my PANDAS child has not done it as a tic or anything, but my gosh, I have gone in the room before when any of them are doing it and their jaw is clenched so tightly you would think they were having a seizure. I have mentioned it to their doctor, but they just shrug it off. I am with you, nothing works to stop it. Even my three year old does it. I find it odd that all my kids do this as neither my husband nor myself do it. Just wondering if you thought I should try something to prevent it. Thanks

Dedee

Hi Dedee

tooth grinding the way you describe is known as bruxism and may not be a tic...my son did not ever do it while asleep...he never tics in sleep as far as we are aware, for him it was a definite tic with OCD undertones.

Vitamin b5 = pantothenic acid seems to be helpful for teeth grinders, nomatter the root cause of the grinding, whether tic or bruxism . Again, dose is dependent on age and weight.

Royal Jelly (I like the one from beealive.com) is one of the safest ways to get a good balanced amount of B vitamins in naturally, including it being a rich source of the b5

Nadine,

My son had a teeth grinding tic for two months and the addition of B5 along with the elimination of corn and wheat products brought it to a halt for us. Not sure which really did it. Didn't even consider it was the B5 until I just read Chemar's post. Hm...

Caryn

• 3 years later...

Hello Cheri (Chemar),

First I want to say...Thank you so much for the vast amount of information and experience you have shared with the ACN community over the years!

I have been reading your posts for a while but I am really now beginning to focus on a few issues I have related to TS and Bruxism. I actually just recently tried B5 (Pantothentic Acid) as you suggested, but have had no success. I started with 25mg/day, then went to 50mg, then 100mg, all over the course of 5 days. I have experienced no difference. However, my Bruxism may not be tic-related, as I clentch my jaw/teeth during the day even when I am calm, as well as while I am sleeping. I can't quite figure it out and would love to hear any more information you may have on the topic.

Here is my profile at a glance:

- 44 yr old male

- TS since I was 7yrs old.

- My tics are now mild and consist of some eye blinking and sometimes a belly tic (when stressed), and of course the jaw-clenching at various times of the day. I do wear a night guard while sleeping to protect my teeth.

- I avoid dairy, preservatives and most wheat

- I consume little sugar and i am both a veggie and meat eater.

- I never had a PANDAS, Amino or a Neuro test, but have had blood tests that show normal levels of minerals.

- I had a digestive/inflammatory issue for years but now have it under control while working with an ND in NYC

- I follow the Blood Type (O type) diet which has worked wonderfully for me and kept my inflammation low and gut healthy.

Supplements:

I take a great mineral supplement on a daily basis which includes Calcium (from seaweed) and Magnesium Taurate, taking extra Mag Taurate and Zinc in the evening before bedtime to help me sleep. I also take Glycine for my gut health. I also began taking Pycnogenol in recent weeks to help bring my Dopamine levels down. Unfortunately the additional dose of Mag Taurate, Zinc and Pycnogenol in the evening hasn't helped with my Bruxism.

Is there anything else you can suggest? Has anyone else out there had success in this area?

Thanks in advance!

Best

-Al

Hello Al

sorry to hear that the B5 is not bringing relief....as you have tried all the stuff that we found helpful, you may want to also consider talking to your dentist to see if you may have misalignment in your trans mandibular joint (TMJ) as that can also be a potential cause of teeth grinding/mouth tics. There are some threads here related to it. It is not "the cause" of TS as some would try to suggest! but nevertheless may be a factor in exacerbating tics for some.

Have you tried the epsom salts baths that we often talk of here? My son has always found them to be so very soothing to his tics. 2 cups epsom salts (magnesium sulfate) in a tub of warmest water that you feel comfortable in, soak for 15-20 min before bed.

hope things stabilize for you.