ACN Latitudes Forums

Is Magnesium Deficiency the Cause of Tics?

jcmom

My son was diagnosed with transient tic disorder around his 4 yo birthday. He repetitively clears his throat, sniffs, and blinks his eyes funny. I have had him allergy tested and found no environmental allergies and just a few food intolerances - none of which were severe. He is moderately allergic to nuts and wheat. He does not eat nuts and we are working on getting wheat out of his diet which is very difficult! He has a short list of foods that he is mildly allergic to and I have not even begun to eliminate those from his diet yet. I treated his first bout of tics (he's had two now) with Natural Calm. It took 3 months, but the tics did finally disappear only to return 3 months later. My question is - are we just treating the symptoms of tics with eliminating allergens and providing magnesium supplementation? What is the root cause of the tics? Could the root cause be that our kids are deficient in magnesium because there is something going on in their bodies that prevent them from absorbing magnesium correctly?

I believe your last sentence is largely correct. However, I think it is a combo of true deficiency and malabsorption. 400mg a day took away my kids hyperactivity pretty much over night. We didn't have tics...

Sometimes I think a bad gut is at the root ofcall this....

Edited by Gpookie

Hi jcmom and welcome to the forums!

About the magnesium, there is a theory that there could be a magnesium deficiency in tic disorders, though there is not research on it and there are a number of different reasons that kids can have tics. One study was planned but results not published that intended to look at supplementing with magnesium and B6 for Tourette syndrome. The entire discussion of the proposed study is here with the rationale behind it.

With food allergies, it is best to try to avoid the items even when they are mild--or at least rotate them, say every 4 days. But for significant allergies you are on the right track, to get them out of the diet. It is good you had him tested. Your allergist should be able to tell you if you can reintroduce wheat occasionally after an extended time off of it.

Comments on the gut by others are good. He could probably benefit from a quality probiotic which can help with digestion and potentially improve reactions to foods. And you should reduce sugars as much as you can.

Have you had a chance to consider chemicals in the environment in addition to classic allergens? Let us know if you need ideas for that. And hope you will keep us posted.

Hi jcmom and welcome to the forums!

About the magnesium, there is a theory that there could be a magnesium deficiency in tic disorders, though there is not research on it and there are a number of different reasons that kids can have tics. One study was planned but results not published that intended to look at supplementing with magnesium and B6 for Tourette syndrome. The entire discussion of the proposed study is here with the rationale behind it.

With food allergies, it is best to try to avoid the items even when they are mild--or at least rotate them, say every 4 days. But for significant allergies you are on the right track, to get them out of the diet. It is good you had him tested. Your allergist should be able to tell you if you can reintroduce wheat occasionally after an extended time off of it.

Comments on the gut by others are good. He could probably benefit from a quality probiotic which can help with digestion and potentially improve reactions to foods. And you should reduce sugars as much as you can.

Have you had a chance to consider chemicals in the environment in addition to classic allergens? Let us know if you need ideas for that. And hope you will keep us posted.

Thanks for your reply! My son's allergist did a back scratch test for common environmental allergens and he did not react to much at all. He did react to weeds but it was so mild his dr did not recommend he use an allergy medication. I would like to hear your suggestions for eliminating environmental chemicals.

Hi

My son definitely responded dramatically when we started supplemental & transdermal magnesium. Obviously there are many other things that can help, both by addition & elimination, but magnesium was a turning point in reducing his then very intense tics.

Here's a bit about what it's role might be http://bonniegr.com/news.html

Now that my son is an adult and doing so well, I have not kept up with current research, so not sure what more recent info might be available

• 4 weeks later...

We have an article in which Dr William Shaw gives some simple suggestions for avoiding and for detoxing chemicals, these are things you can consider along with other efforts you are making. Dr Shaw is director of Great Plains Laboratory that has a new lab test for toxins; info is included in the article.

http://latitudes.org/4-steps-you-can-take-to-detoxify/

• 11 months later...