ACN Latitudes Forums

Duration of Antibiotics for Lyme?

For the past year, we have been treating my 10 yr old daughter with just herbs (Beyond Balance products: Cognease Detox, Cyflacalm, MC-BB-2, MC-BAR-1, and MC-BFM-P) to treat lyme. I saw a big improvement in her neuro symptoms (7/10 in her overall behavior compared to the prior years). Her doctor convinced me to switch to antibiotics in order to fully "tackle the lyme" after her most recent lyme urine test. We started one month ago with 300 mg Cefdinir/daily and pulse 250 mg Flagyl on Friday/Saturday/Sunday for cyst busting. We try to detox with aka seltzer gold, lots of lemon water, and epsom salt baths. The first twelve days, my daughter severely herxed and could hardly hold a conversation, sit down, sleep, or eat. Things have *slightly* gotten better, but she still has bad anxiety, cries easily, low appetite, poor focus, and a general feeling of restlessness. We're supposed to start the 3rd antibiotic next week (Azith), but I know her body can't handle it just yet. I'm also still giving her all of the Beyond Balance herbs.

So, how long in your antibiotic lyme treatment did you see your child's symptoms improve? I am at the emotional point where I want to just drop the antibiotics and go back to herbs. Or, maybe try a different herbal protocol. So, I'm looking for any guidance/success stories in sticking with antibiotic treatment. Her doctor says 3-4 months is the usual protocol, but I've read you need to stay on antibiotics for two whole months after all symptoms have resolved.

Thanks in advance for any input ;-)

For the past year, we have been treating my 10 yr old daughter with just herbs (Beyond Balance products: Cognease Detox, Cyflacalm, MC-BB-2, MC-BAR-1, and MC-BFM-P) to treat lyme. I saw a big improvement in her neuro symptoms (7/10 in her overall behavior compared to the prior years). Her doctor convinced me to switch to antibiotics in order to fully "tackle the lyme" after her most recent lyme urine test. We started one month ago with 300 mg Cefdinir/daily and pulse 250 mg Flagyl on Friday/Saturday/Sunday for cyst busting. We try to detox with aka seltzer gold, lots of lemon water, and epsom salt baths. The first twelve days, my daughter severely herxed and could hardly hold a conversation, sit down, sleep, or eat. Things have *slightly* gotten better, but she still has bad anxiety, cries easily, low appetite, poor focus, and a general feeling of restlessness. We're supposed to start the 3rd antibiotic next week (Azith), but I know her body can't handle it just yet. I'm also still giving her all of the Beyond Balance herbs.

So, how long in your antibiotic lyme treatment did you see your child's symptoms improve? I am at the emotional point where I want to just drop the antibiotics and go back to herbs. Or, maybe try a different herbal protocol. So, I'm looking for any guidance/success stories in sticking with antibiotic treatment. Her doctor says 3-4 months is the usual protocol, but I've read you need to stay on antibiotics for two whole months after all symptoms have resolved.

Thanks in advance for any input ;-)

We are in the midst of battling Lyme as well...it's dreadful. There are some serious lyme experts on this forum so hopefully they will chime in to help you more than I can...

However, I can tell you that we had a similar experience with Flagyl - major herxing and my son's tic went bonkers. We had to stop. I've been advised by many on this and other forums that when tackling lyme go low and slow. Sounds like she is responding to the change in treatment but you may just need to go slower. I don't think I would add the third antibiotic until things settle down for her. You should also try a binder of some sort - our LLMD recommends Takasumi Supreme - its a really great charcoal and my son swears by it. He will not go to bed without it...the idea is that it soaks up some of the toxins being released by the antibiotics and herbs...you just need to make sure her bowels are moving regularly so that she can eliminate the toxins from her body. The epsom salt baths and other detox stuff you're doing will help this as well.

One other consideration is to reassess which herbs you still need to do while on antibiotics. May not need all of those if they are fighting the same forms of lyme that the abx is fighting. Just a thought...

Some people get excited about a herx thinking its a great sign that bugs are dying, but the reaction is because your loading the system with toxins, which it can't eliminate.

We were having herx reactions in response to herbs (Biocidin) even in a low dose and to zithro which is why we suspect we are also battling lyme (still waiting for testing). We've added activated charcoal and I think its helping.

MD's tend to go straight to the "kill" without supporting the whole system.

The charcoal is safe and tasteless - just hard to hide as its black! It needs to be given sufficiently far apart from other meds/supplements.

• 7 months later...