ACN Latitudes Forums

Seasonal swing in PANS flares

Hi all,

Four of us have PANS in this household (me + my three children). I have noticed a massive uptick in flares beginning mid-October. This happens every year - I can trace it back at least 4 or 5 years. (My oldest is 7). The most severe PANS flare I have had personally (past my teenage years) started precisely at the beginning of December, 7 years ago.

I understand that this is when viruses/bacteria become more widespread, school is back in session, allergen levels are up. My kids and I haven't had a single environmental allergy show up on blood tests nor do we have any typical allergy symptoms. (Unlike my husband who has major allergies). And it is hard to believe that, like clockwork, every year, in November, my kids have completely fallen apart. It is a drastic, drastic difference from how they are in Spring and Summer.

I have heard that SAD/seasonal appearances can be related to Babesia. Anyone know anything about this?

All of us harbor massive viral loads so I suppose it could just be a reactivation, but what, exactly, is causing that to get SO BAD beginning in October/November/December? We are on all the same anti-virals we use the rest of the year.

Any insight is most appreciated! thank you!

• 1 year later...

Curious if anyone else has this issue. My son has flared every December/January through May/June for the past four years. He was positive for Babesia (and Lyme, Bartonella, etc.,.). Not sure if it is due to Babesia, as this poster had queried, or something else. Do others without allergies seem to flare in this- or any- cyclical fashion? I wonder if we moved to a different climate, would he stop flaring? 

Curious.  Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

A December/January start seems unusual.  It is neither high flu season, nor allergy season.  Being the time of year that windows are closed, I would wonder if there is something in the house, that doesn't get diluted until windows are generally open again in June.  Mold is just one possibility, another is pet allergies, if you have pets.