ACN Latitudes Forums

Hiccup type movement

For about three weeks now my son has had this tic that resembles the type of movement that your torso would make if you had the hiccups only there is no hiccup sound associated with it. Has anyone ever experienced this type of tic before? I don't know if I should clasify this as a tic or not. We have gone through all the other usual ones...eye blinking, shoulder shrugging...

hi

yes, at one time when he did it in a kind of rolling movement in his thorax thru upper abdomen, he complained that the tic was hurting him and after he had done it a few times in a row, he had definite pain in his diaphragm area

are you trying magnesium along with other supplements?

many like the Kid's Calm and Natural Calm products for magnesium

and there is also also Epsom Salts baths

an Epsom Salts bath (2 cups of salts WELL DISSOLVED in a tub of warm water and soak for 20 min, drinking lots of pure water too) is still one of my son's quickest ways to calm a major tic wax and the muscular pain that daily ticcing can bring

these have always been a lifesaver for my son when he is going thru tic waxing and in the past when many of his tics were painful or potentially injurious, magnesium has always calmed things. We still use 500mg magnesium balanced with 1000mg calcium and 50 mg zinc (300:600:25 mg recommended when under 12yo or under 100lb weight I believe)

Chemar,

My son has a neck pain which causes his head to turn left to right. The pain is not the result of the tic. Is this typical? When i applied the magnesium cream on painful area, it alleviated the pain and also eliminated the tic. I just want to make sure there isn't something else that i should be concern about.

Thx!

Patty

For about three weeks now my son has had this tic that resembles the type of movement that your torso would make if you had the hiccups only there is no hiccup sound associated with it. Has anyone ever experienced this type of tic before? I don't know if I should clasify this as a tic or not. We have gone through all the other usual ones...eye blinking, shoulder shrugging...

My son has had a tic like that too :-(, in periods in a combination with holding his breath, that is - I quess - as if a tic becomes an obsession and vice versa.

Hi

one thing I have learned in this 8 year walk with TS is that just about anything can be a tic ^_^ and yes, the movement you describe is a tic my son has had in the past too

Our son has had the abdominal movement as well, along with the eye and shoulder and leg. They don't seem to last that long and are never more then just the single motor tic. I still think this is the transient type, not TS. On all the descriptions I have read he does not seem to fall under TS. Would you agree Chemar, or is there other information that would sugest it still could be TS? I haven't seen anything now save about 1 eye roll in a few days.

Lenny

Lenny,

When I took my oldest son to the Neuro, he said TS, however my son had never had a vocal tic. Eventually, well after the onset of his head shaking tic, he did develope a period of one vocal tic for a short period of time. He did have the vocal, plus a motor tic within a 12 months, so I guess, for that period he would have clinically been classified as TS. Now, it has been A LONG time since that vocal episode, so I guess, we would be back to a "no TS" diagnosis.

I really think these classifications are of more value for clinical purposes, than anything else.

Have you ever read this page?

http://www.emedicine.com/neuro/topic664.htm

Under section three;

Two case definitions for TS are accepted widely: the DSM-IV-TR definition, which is widely used in the US for clinical purposes (see the DSM-IV-TR criteria for tic disorders below), and the TSSG definition (see TSSG criteria for tic disorders below). Experts identify similar groups of patients by using either set of criteria.

DSM-IV-TR criteria for tic disorders from the American Psychiatric Association, 2000

Diagnostic criteria for TS (DSM-IV-TR 307.23)

Both multiple motor and 1 or more vocal tics have been present at some time during the illness, though not necessarily concurrently. (A tic is a sudden, rapid, recurrent, nonrhythmic, stereotyped motor movement or vocalization.)

The tics occur many times a day (usually in bouts) nearly every day or intermittently throughout a period of more than 1 year, and during this period there was never a tic-free period of more than 3 consecutive months