ACN Latitudes Forums
  • pandas-cover-cropped.pngYour Child Has Changed; Should You Consider PANDAS?

Have you seen our PANDAS eBook?  Our book is a helpful primer in a friendly question & answer format.  This eBook contains useful information to understand the symptoms of PANDAS, how it is diagnosed (including lab tests), the different types of treatments, approaches for prevention, and how to find the help and support that you need.  Your satisfaction is guaranteed. Learn more

Sign in to follow this  
jan251

Article on autoimmune encephalitis with a section on PANDAS

I think this is an excellent summary within the bigger picture of AE. Includes interesting discussion of the function of CamKII and the rest of the Cunningham panel. See pp. 54-65.

Autoimmune encephalitis History & current knowledge Short compendium Version 5.8, April 2016

By Finn E. Somnier, M.D., D.Sc. (Med.), copyright ® Department of Autoimmunology and Biomarkers, Statens Serum Institut, Copenhagen, Denmark
Adding, I see that pandasnetwork.org already has a related article from 2013:
Edited by jan251

I have an annotated, highlighted and dog-eared version of Somnier's comprehensive, easy-to-read, authoritative, and beautifully illustrated compendium. And the post-streptococcal type of autoimmune encephalitis seems to be a particular interest, for he gives it a lot more space than almost all other types of AE. Have I mentioned that I find it incredibly useful??? I do.

I am just very sorry that this not a peer-reviewed review journal article -- one one could cite in discussions with insurance companies!!!

Does anyone know who Dr. Finn Somnier is and what he does?

What is Statens Serum Institut in Denmark?

Is he a basic or clinical researcher? A professor? Given how clearly this is written and illustrated, how well organized, I have wondered if it's a textbook chapter for a class he teaches.