ACN Latitudes Forums

Dietary changes tics worse

Kath04

Hi. I have a 5 year old daughter who is not officially diagnosed with TS but has increasing tics for a year now and I feel the diagnosis is only semantics at this point. Though most of her tics involve rubbing or itching her face and have thus far not been twitch-like. After running an Alltess IGG test we went GFDF egg free, rice free and numerous other random vegetables and such that showed up on the test. We're also using Natures Calm, Inositol and DHA. Her diet is very healthy. Mostly organic. Really limited perservatives or food coloring/flavors if any. A little over a week after changing her diet I noticed an increase in tics that have lasted about a week. From what I've read many people see a rather quick improvement and I don't want to throw in the towel early but am concerned I'm over compensating with other foods she may be reacting to or perhaps creating deficiencies from the new diet. We are also not using scented things and have almost all free and clear or 7th generation cleaning products. Any thoughts on things getting "worse before better." Or can I assume these changes alone are not going to make a difference? Thanks so much.

Hi Kathy04 and welcome to the forums. You've made some major positive changes for your daughter--congratulations.

I can see why you are concerned though, with symptoms being stronger after starting the dietary changes. I agree with you that it would seem removing foods would not increase tics. I wouldn't worry that there are deficiencies so quickly. Do you feel like you are using a lot more of a particular food to replace some of the ones you are avoiding? If so, what would those be?

Am wondering if there could there be something totally different going on in the past week.

Where do you live? And did she just start school?

Yes she has just started school. Kindergarten. I realize the change and excitement could lead to increased tics. She likely eats more fruit to compensate for lack of all else. Because oats and rice showed on the IGG test we got rid of tbem and have had more corn cereals and corn chips. Corn did not show up on the IGG test but because so many others have discussed I'm now keeping an eye on corn, tomatos, sugar. Of course now that she is in kindergarten and not home with me it's difficult to see what is actually happening with her tics. In the last couple weeks she has begun to tic less at home and more when out and stimulated so it's hard to say from what I see at home what may be happening at school with the tics. Thanks so much for your quick response. I like all other parents of course am desperate to help my daughter and am willing to investigate and make changes as much as I can!