ACN Latitudes Forums

Can magnesium make tics worse

Hello

As with all things, it depends on what is causing the tics, and if the patient is magnesium deficient. It would also be dependent on what else may be included with the magnesium ie any fillers or dyes etc?

There is research supporting the benefits of magnesium for people who have TS tics.

If the tics are getting worse with magnesium, perhaps the cause is not TS or the person is not in need of extra magnesium?

Hi

Thanks for replying. I have been giving my daughter natural calm before bed and spraying a magnesium oil on her back and feet.

I am not certain, but I have an inkling that her shoulder shrug has got worse whilst taking the above.

If I stop giving her the natural calm, how long would it take before I noticed a change

Hi, I found when I used the Calm it made my daughter seem as though she was drunk. I never used it again. After a year if food journals I realized that she must eat 100% organic, i think she reacts to pesticides in foods, and other products. Epsom salts and magnesium oil work well for her, but the ingredients list on Calm is not organic and that is why she reacted worse. I can go into more detail on our journey if you like, but in a nut shell organic works for us.

Thanks for your input Mom2NY

We have always used organic produce etc but have not found organic supplements essential, but I can understand this may be an issue

Kathryn

My son always reacted to chloride compounds (as he did with chlorine as well) so maybe those in the oil are causing reactions?

It's also possible the Natural Calm is problematic for your child. We only used the plain one.

You could test by removing one of your mag sources and see how things go (say a week?) and then maybe add back and observe?

There are many other forms of magnesium available. Just avoid Mag oxide as it is very poorly absorbed

Hi

I've only found magnesium to help - reduce the tics.

Havent tried natural Calm but he takes Floradix liquid magnesium every evening before bed and Mag flakes in his bath every other night.

Might be worth trying to floradix if you want to avoid the other compunds in the Epsom salts.

HTH x

Hello

As with all things, it depends on what is causing the tics, and if the patient is magnesium deficient. It would also be dependent on what else may be included with the magnesium ie any fillers or dyes etc?

There is research supporting the benefits of magnesium for people who have TS tics.

If the tics are getting worse with magnesium, perhaps the cause is not TS or the person is not in need of extra magnesium?

I have stopped the magnesium spray and also reduced the Natural Calm only given it to her a couple of times over the last few days instead of every night.

I am becoming more and more convinced that it isn't TS and more leaning towards PANDAS. Her tics started out of the blue last July when she was 12 (she turned 13 in April this year) recently I have noticed a couple of OCD type, such as tapping her phone when she puts it down

We are going back to the hospital soon so I am going to ask them, need to have another read up on the internet with regard to supplements we could give her in the meantime that might work