ACN Latitudes Forums

Looking for help.

PhillyKid

Hello everyone, I have Tourette Syndrome. I have a healthy lifestyle and I still have tics. It's very uncomfortable and makes it so I can not relax or think straight. I do not eat night shades, gluten, grains, caffine, alcohol cured, smoked or fermented food. I do eat lots of greens, fish, olives, olive oil & artichokes. I do yoga everyday in my room, push ups, dips, pull ups, sit ups and run for an hour every other day. I started taking B vitimin complex, l - methyl folate & l - theanine twice a day. I am going to start taking tummeric, garlic & Ginger in the mornings to possibly help if I have candida overgrowth and a potent probiotic at night.

Tourette's is extremely discomforting! I am mostly alone trying to heal my TS. I am looking for help, someone who can point me in the right direction.

Hi PhillyKid, it looks like you are making a lot of helpful and practical changes.

At what age did your tics start? Do you have allergies?

Tourette syndrome can be treated for many people. Sometimes it takes the help of a professional to sort things out and provide treatment. There is not a single approach that helps everyone. Please tell us more about yourself, if you like.

Hello

I am doing my own trial/error with my own son now who has TS, but I do believe that getting regular ajustments from a chiropractor seem very helping in relaxing him and helping him focus better. He doesn't really get his back cracked, it's more of pressure points. The technique is called Torque Release Technique (TRT): TRT is called a tonal technique because it normalizes the tone of the nervous system.

From there website: Balancing the body structures through specific movements of the spine, or impulses to the central nervous system (called achiropractic adjustment) begins to release the natural healing power of the body.

Have you also tried taking a Magneisium supplement? Ive read it's very effective for some people with TS.

Sheila:

My tics started when I was in 3rd or 4th grade. From that time for 15 years I was forced to take lots of pills. I have been on multiple different pills in just about every category. The pills were driving me insane with dependencies and addiction. My childhood neurologist that was seeing me said since I turned of age I had to now pay $150 a visit (I could not afford that plus he was a terrible doctor). I was struggling and no doctor would help me. One doctor said I was a lost cause. But I never gave up! In college I started trying to get off of everything beat my addictions and depencies myself. I did my own research and tried to understand my body through mindfulness as well as using my intuition. Until recently I was in so much pain from the way I was treated my whole life (sometimes I still am). The way I saw the world was like the opening scene of Private Ryan when he's in shell shock and everything was on fire. I have been pill free for a little over 1 year now feeling a lot better. I never thought I would be where I am today. Along with my Tourette's I have bi-polar. I am still trying to figure that out too. My brain was not excepting pills or herbs or anything for a long time until recently. Yesterday I stopped taking the l-theanine and my tics decreased. I started drinking skullcap tea today and before I go to bed I am going to try Passion flower tea (Passion flowers grow in the park I skateboard at so I picked them and dried them myself) my goal is to balance my body out and prove to everyone that conventional medicine is ineffective and only covers up problems and or causes more problems. I wish to find peace. One thing I can say is the less my Tourette's acts up the less my bipolar acts up. It almost feels like it is connected.

Sheila:

I have not had an allergy test in a long time. When I did get it they said I have no food allergies. I have found food sensitivities through mindfulness followed by research. Potatoes, tomatoes, peppers, eggplant & tobaco. They are part of the night shade family which produces natural pesticides. They give me head aches, make muscles pull and my joints hurt which triggers racing thoughts and tics. Also gluten gives me terrible tics and bipolar by making my muscles pull.

Anything smoked,cured, pickled or fermented gives me bad tics and bipolar too. Those foods contain histamine, they make my muscles pulls as well.

For all I know my tics could be gone in a week or a couple months. I am nervous I am doing something wrong. Everything I am doing is based on my own knowledge and research.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi PhillyKid, Is there any update on how things are going? The list of foods you gave, as far as night shades and histamine containing items aggravating tics, is very interesting.

Since you mention bipolar, I wanted to let you know about this company that has had some success in treating it through their products http://www.truehope.com/ It might be useful to try. There has been some limited research with positive results.

Let me know what you think -- and we would love to know how you are making out.

• 1 month later...

I have been making progress. My biggest problem is slipping on my diet, which is a big set back. When I eat foods that are high in histamine or night shades my tics increase and my bipolar comes back for a couple days. I take b vitimin complex, licorice root, a probiotic magnesium like MHidaglo suggested. The magnesium has been a real life saver. But I have found that the only one that works well is the Whole Foods 365 magnisum 200 mg tablet. I have tried other similar capsauls and have not gotten good results. for the past two days I have been taking a desolvable powder because they have been out of the brand I need for over a week. The powder works but not as well as the tablet but it is too early to tell until my magnesium levels build up again.

The magnisum from the brand 365 is 75% mag oxide, 25% mag aspartate at 200 mg tablets. It worked great, relaxed my whole body reduced my tics to nothing and my bipolar was gone. The magnesium from the brand sundown natrauls is 100% mag oxide at 500 mg. This brand did not relax me and gave me a sharp pain in my brain caused terrible tics and unstablized my bipolar. The magnisium from the brand country life is mag oxide, taurinate, citrate, alpha-ketoglutrate st 300 mg Along with horsetail extract at 43 mg which is a plant and I'm not to happy about it, and silica at 3mg. This relaxes my shoulders and neck a little but is not super effective and tightens some of my muscles causing tics. The last on is a dissolvable from the brand 365. It is 100% mag carbonate at 350mg. This relaxs my brain but it tightens some of my muscels causing tics.