ACN Latitudes Forums

Melatonin use to decrease tics

MHidalgo

My 9 year old son has TS. This summer and into the start of the school year so far have been really hard for him. He has a vocal tic (noise he makes in his throat) right now that is really bothering him at school.

He is a little sick right now, just a little cough. So I gave him this natural cough medicine from Zarbees for Night time last night. Well this morning I noticed his throat tic was not happening at all. He really does it a lot when he reads in the car on the way to school normally and this morning it didn't happen! I was looking over the ingredients of the cough syrup this morning and realized that it has 1mg of melatonin in it. So now I'm wondering if that helped him... I'm just looking for info on the use of Melatonin and tics.

Thanks in advance

Hi MHidalgo, We're glad you posted on the forum about this and will look forward to more feedback from you.

Here are some articles on tics and melatonin on the forum that might interest you. Please see what you think is helpful--and maybe you can let us all know!

(I notice the product also has a small amount of zinc gluconate which could also be playing a role.)

As you say, it is only one day of observation so far. We really would be interested in hearing more from you on this.

Melatonin and dopamine 5 posts 5 authors

Melatonin use - Tourette Syndrome

Thanks Sheila for the reply! I will definitely read the other posts on this subject.

I do plan on giving the medicine to him this weekend to see if I notice a difference again. His tics came back about a day and a half later. Seemed to be brought on from a stressful homework day but who knows. I will update this post with what happens.

Just a note that I thought about after I posted, the same night I gave him the medicine I also put some essential oils in a diffuser by his bed as well as on his feet and chest (first time). It was the breath and lavender ones from Doterra. AND, we also had turkey that evening which we never do. I read turkey contains the amino acid tryptophan, which is used by the human body to make serotonin. So I will be testing out all these things separately to see if I notice any difference.

So glad I found this forum :)